Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading the r6 forum for awhile now to learn more about the r6, but I have never posted before. Hello.

I recently purchased a 2008 R6, it's a great bike. I have been using as a commuter, round trip about 50 miles a day. I ride exclusively on the street. I don't know anything about suspension adjustment; the bike still has it's stock settings.

I have read in a couple of online reviews that new to the 2008 model the suspension can be adjusted for a more street oriented riding position by lowering the rear and raising the front. I looked in the Owner's Manual and on this site, but I could not find anything about this. The manual had a lot about damping force and spring preload, but nothing specifically addressing how to raise the front and lower the back.

Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems like a pretty good commuter bike to me. It is lightweight and fast and fun to ride. Why do you say I shouldn't use it as a commuter? Anyway, thanks for the info on the forks. Is that easy to adjust? What about the rear? Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would just soften the preload on both front and back, and and soften the fast and slow compression settings, and leave the rebound setting where it is.

This should give you a nice soft ride. The adjustments you are talking about make the bike harder to turn, and I don't think that the bike is too twitchy.

If it is, then I would push the fork tubes down into the triple clamp a quarter inch at a time until you feel comfortable.

·
Registered
113 Posts
First of. Welcom 5341. I'm new to the bike world too. Just got mine 08 last Sat. I'm doing reasearch myself. From what I'm getting you need a lowering link to lower the back.
Hey, don't worry about the people that make comment like "well you shouldn't get the R6 to start with". Not every one is a daredevil like you devil. It's ok I only have 1 mile on my bike so far. Hey do you think Wal-Mart will take my R6 back if I only have 1 mile on her. Not all 911 owner race their car devil.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Never bothered with mine. All stock, all 2008 and I commute between Brooklyn and Manhattan-- no rougher roads if you know what I mean.

I love the agility and the nimbleness of the bike and it's perfect for my commute in every way.

·
Registered
42 Posts
They are talking about raising forks, there are lines on them on the 08, they added 1/2 inch or so of material, also the rear is ride height adjustable via shim i believe, so all in all they mean taking some weight off the front but this will slow down your geometry, generally making the bike steer slower.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Maybe that person is looking for clip-ons that have a raised offset, like on the FZR600, or the FZ600. Maybe their clip-ons would fit?

And don't forget the comfort seat from Yamaha too!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts