Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I’m a new rider and I just recently bought a 2008 Yamaha R6 from a friend. It had 6,100 miles when I got it and now it’s at 6,500, so the problem is the bike was doing fine then one day I took it for a ride and like 45 mins into the ride in 4th gear my bike started bogging down and I tried giving throttle and it didn’t want to go and felt like it wanted to die out so I pulled over let it rest for about 10 minutes then drove home that was 15 minutes away and it did fine then I flushed the coolant thinking it was a cooling problem and coolant was dark and had gunk in it so I flushed it and put new engine ice coolant thinking that’ll fix it but then I drove it 4 more times after and 2 of those times was back to back days and it was a shitty day. So that second day I was driving it 25 minutes down the road to my girls house and I took the freeway and bike was doing great but then when I took my exit and got to a stop light when it finally turned green I tried to go in first gear and the bike was just struggling to go so I tried 2nd, and 3rd and the bike was just bogging out so I looked at my temp and it was fine it was around 180-190 so I pulled over for about 7 minutes to see what was wrong and started it back up and it did fine once again but then after I reached my girls house we decided to go 45 minutes down the road into town so we went onto the freeway and 20 minutes into the ride as I’m going 65 in 6th gear the bike just starts to bog so I yank the throttle and it just felt like it was dying down and not moving when I did that so I down shifted to 5th and 4th going like 45 on the freeway just giving little throttle and it lasted for about 2 minutes then started driving fine again so we kept driving until 7 minutes later my bike just bogged out really bad so I stopped to let it rest even tho my temp was around 188-196 then once I started it back up my gas light came on and the bike was still bogging so I assumed I needed gas so just rode it even tho it was bogging about 4 mins to a gas station put gas and decided to go home so I don’t get stranded 45 minutes from my house so we went home and bike was doing good on the way back, I pushed 90mph just to open it up and it was doing fine so I don’t know what’s wrong. I notice it acts up when I try to drive for long periods of time. Sorry if my story is all over the place also but basically the bike bogs down on me everytime I ride it and I’ve rode it about 4 or 5 times since I’ve had it and I only had it for a month. My dad assumes the fuel pump filter is clogged because we looked at the tank and at the top where it has the hole for the gas nozzle to go in it has some rust but we haven’t drained the tank yet and looked at the filter or fuel pump yet. Planning on doing it today but figured I’d ask on here if anyone else has had that problem so I’m not wasting time and money searching for the problem. Also I asked my friend who I bought it from if he knows what’s up or if it gave him that issue but he’s saying it didn’t give him any issues so I don’t know if he’s lying or what but I hope one of y’all can tell me what’s wrong with the bike. Thank you

·
Registered
2008 Yellow Flame R6R
116 Posts
If he was a ‘friend’ he would tell you everything. I mean was the bike not ran for along time before you bought it from your ‘friend’? While your cleaning your tank out when you remove the pump assembly do all the maintenance while it’s ripped apart. Spark plugs, oil change, etc. Refer to the manual. Six thousand miles might not be a lot but if it sat along time you’re going to have fuel issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If he was a ‘friend’ he would tell you everything. I mean was the bike not ran for along time before you bought it from your ‘friend’? While your cleaning your tank out when you remove the pump assembly do all the maintenance while it’s ripped apart. Spark plugs, oil change, etc. Refer to the manual. Six thousand miles might not be a lot but if it sat along time you’re going to have fuel issues.
yes he said it sat for awhile while he was on deployment. Don’t know how long but he just said it was sitting for some time. And thank you I’ll attend to all that also when I get under the tank today.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Listen to ya dad! & if it is ya fuel filter? You can get a new replacement online, for around $30 delivered, but ya may as well do the lot ~ new pump & fuel strainer that will set ya back another $30, & do the job only once, & make sure ya pump seal goes back in the same position.

·
Registered
Everything you need to know is in the Service Manual !
177 Posts
Hello everyone, I’m a new rider and I just recently bought a 2008 Yamaha R6 from a friend. It had 6,100 miles when I got it and now it’s at 6,500, so the problem is the bike was doing fine then one day I took it for a ride and like 45 mins into the ride in 4th gear my bike started bogging down and I tried giving throttle and it didn’t want to go and felt like it wanted to die out so I pulled over let it rest for about 10 minutes then drove home that was 15 minutes away and it did fine then I flushed the coolant thinking it was a cooling problem and coolant was dark and had gunk in it so I flushed it and put new engine ice coolant thinking that’ll fix it but then I drove it 4 more times after and 2 of those times was back to back days and it was a shitty day. So that second day I was driving it 25 minutes down the road to my girls house and I took the freeway and bike was doing great but then when I took my exit and got to a stop light when it finally turned green I tried to go in first gear and the bike was just struggling to go so I tried 2nd, and 3rd and the bike was just bogging out so I looked at my temp and it was fine it was around 180-190 so I pulled over for about 7 minutes to see what was wrong and started it back up and it did fine once again but then after I reached my girls house we decided to go 45 minutes down the road into town so we went onto the freeway and 20 minutes into the ride as I’m going 65 in 6th gear the bike just starts to bog so I yank the throttle and it just felt like it was dying down and not moving when I did that so I down shifted to 5th and 4th going like 45 on the freeway just giving little throttle and it lasted for about 2 minutes then started driving fine again so we kept driving until 7 minutes later my bike just bogged out really bad so I stopped to let it rest even tho my temp was around 188-196 then once I started it back up my gas light came on and the bike was still bogging so I assumed I needed gas so just rode it even tho it was bogging about 4 mins to a gas station put gas and decided to go home so I don’t get stranded 45 minutes from my house so we went home and bike was doing good on the way back, I pushed 90mph just to open it up and it was doing fine so I don’t know what’s wrong. I notice it acts up when I try to drive for long periods of time. Sorry if my story is all over the place also but basically the bike bogs down on me everytime I ride it and I’ve rode it about 4 or 5 times since I’ve had it and I only had it for a month. My dad assumes the fuel pump filter is clogged because we looked at the tank and at the top where it has the hole for the gas nozzle to go in it has some rust but we haven’t drained the tank yet and looked at the filter or fuel pump yet. Planning on doing it today but figured I’d ask on here if anyone else has had that problem so I’m not wasting time and money searching for the problem. Also I asked my friend who I bought it from if he knows what’s up or if it gave him that issue but he’s saying it didn’t give him any issues so I don’t know if he’s lying or what but I hope one of y’all can tell me what’s wrong with the bike. Thank you
Fuel Pump Factory makes a very good aftermarket pump. When the bike started acting up did you notice anything on the dash, codes, the dash light going dim or anything like that? Does it ever have trouble starting like if the battery was low or dead? A bad rectifier or one on the way out can cause the bike to not charge while riding and give all the symptoms you’re explaining. Fuel related problems too. Even a dirty dirty air filter. The problem being so random makes it a bit harder to diagnose but a new fuel pump, filter and DIY injector clean should be done after a bikes been sitting for a long time. Load test the battery, take a voltage reading with the bike off. With the bike on. And with the bike on and holding the throttle at 3,000rpm to get your charging voltage. Look in the free service manual online for your year bike to get all those battery specs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts