Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 09 r6 today, rode down the highway and it seemed to be turning more rpm than normal. About 7500? Only mod is GYTR slip on. Don't think they'd have geared down

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
2nd-Gen bike, (you have 3rd Gen), stock gearing, around 4k around 40MPH. (stock speedometers reads as high as 8% fast)

I'll take a peak-see for 60MPH later but that sounds like it could be right.

Front tire is 70 series but other than that, stock. I think the 4th Gen reads speed off the front; not sure about 3rd Gen.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,411 Posts
1st through 3rd gen take the speed from the transmission output shaft. I know the 4th Gen has speed sensors on each wheel, but I would think that those are only for TC and anti-lock braking. I’d bet the speedo was still fed from a pick-up on the back of the engine.

EDIT: Just looked it up and the engine speed sensor doesn’t appear to be used on the 2017 and up.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If you ever have a question about rpms and gearing you can look it up on gearing commander. Just pop your bike in the selection boxes and you can see stock and 2 other setups at the same time. You can also look at shift points etc. Extremely useful site.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts