Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started it up the other morning and my bike started idling like this. Do I need a valve job? This is my 2nd R6 and I've never noticed either do this. Only 12k miles. 2009. Fresh oil change done. Maintenance always done. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

"
"

·
Registered
158 Posts
Started it up the other morning and my bike started idling like this. Do I need a valve job? This is my 2nd R6 and I've never noticed either do this. Only 12k miles. 2009. Fresh oil change done. Maintenance always done. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

"
"
Verify fuel pressure, inspect you spark plugs and check you throttle body sync. Also, check your tps values.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Okay so low-end torque has been affected. That's typically ignition system related.
The copper plugs wear super quick. At 12k the plugs very well could require re-gap.
"Bad" fuel could also be a factor though. You have a 3rd, but my 2nd-Gen can be finnicky about some fuel. (label says octane 95 RON)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yo man Ive had this issue on my 08 for a long time in varying levels of severity. Start with fresh spark plugs and while you're there go ahead and check valve clearances. If you have a voltmeter you should check primary and secondary resistances on the ignition coils (instructions on this procedure can be found in the manual). If ANY modifications have been made to the engine such as aftermarket exhaust then you MUST get a tune. As when these modifications are made adjustments need to made to the fuel mapping to achieve proper air/fuel ratio. I will say though in my personal experience the spark plugs don't last more than 8k miles at the most, and are the #1 culprit of this issue. Pulled them at 8k and the electrode has visible wear causing the gap to increase out of spec. When this happens you end up with this choppy idle problem as it is misfiring. Replace plugs, boom running good again. After you have done all this it is advisable to go ahead and synchronize throttle bodies (did this on my now 50,000 mile r6, and they were all still perfectly in sync though). IF you are still having problems after that then you need to further investigate the ignition system, as well as your fueling system. Get back with us after you have checked all that, and we can go from there.

·
slow
15 Posts

"
"
That sounds like a coil to me. I had a coil go bad on my 2007 R6. It idled just like that but would run smoothly above about 4000rpm. The R6 has a bit of a reputation for coils going bad.

·
slow
15 Posts

"
"
If you have temp gun, you can confirm a coil or plug issue by reading the temp of the headers. If a coil has failed, the reading on the corresponding header will be much lower than the others. You can do this by touch but I don't recommend it. If you confirm that it is a coil problem, I would strongly urge you to use OEM replacement. I tried using some after market ones that were supposed to be "better" It was disaster. Changing them is a pain in the ass so you'll only want to do it once. Just my two cents based on my own experience.

·
Registered
4 Posts
so I feel like I can relate after watching that video and reading these comments. My bike is currently rn doing that and has been doing that for a month now.. I need help so I can get it back running so I can be on the road again.. suggestions?

Currently about my bike: 2018 r6 has 14500 miles
Aftermarket sprint dry air filter, cat delete w/slip on M4
Also just got a dyno tuned. Still bike is misbehaving when it idles worse when it’s warming up from a cold engine. it’s starting to stall out when it idles more frequently. When it runs on the road it stays running as if normal. Uploading a small clip what I’m going through..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts