Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have 2009 Yamaha R6 that I bought brand new. This bike has been through a lot. My roommate at that time took my bike without asking me while I was away for 2 weeks. He crashed it!! Long story short. The bike was sitting for 3 years cuz I couldn't afford fixing it. Finally I had the extra money to put in to the bike to fix it. I took it to a mechanic and he cleaned it up for me, got some new parts, fairings, headlights and bunch of other stuff. Anyway so I got it home and I was ready to ride, I took it for a spin and after about 15 min the displays went out and shortly after that the bike died. I figured it was the battery, but I had just replaced it the battery with a new one. I charged the battery and the bike was fine, but same thing happened. It died after 15 min. I bought a new regulator for it, still same problem. I figured it MUST be the stator, I got a new stator and replaced it. I am ready to ride it, but the bike does not turn over. It does turn over sometimes and it goes on for about 5 sec and then shuts off. Other than that it just gets ready to turn over but nothing besides the starting noise if you would call it.

Help me out if anyone has had similar problem. Is it the starter? Wiring?

P.S It was turning over just fine prior to changing the regulator and stator. And yes it has full tank of gas.

I wanted to upload a video but couldn't so I have included a link to youtube where it has been uploaded.

http://youtu.be/al03nQETA6k

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
How long ago did you replace the battery? If you let it fully discharge often, it can wreck your battery in no time.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
battery sounds fine. cranking over fast.
Could be clogged fuel injectors considering it sat for 3 years with ethanol blended fuel .. send em here to have them serviced or at least flow tested ($7 each) www.proflowtech.com

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The battery was replaced about 6 months ago. But i drove it about 2 months ago.

It drove pretty well for sitting 3 years.

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
I wasn't able to watch the video, so I will take Melk's word for it that the battery is fine.

I am stumped on what it could be. Hopefully someone else can help figure it out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did jump start the battery twice with a car, it could have messed up the battery. I had it checked at autozone and it was fine. But i am still going to buy a new battery just to try it.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
I did jump start the battery twice with a car, it could have messed up the battery. I had it checked at autozone and it was fine. But i am still going to buy a new battery just to try it.
12 volts is 12 volts. Jumping off a car battery won't ruin your battery.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So I bought a new battery and it still did nothing. Any other ideas what it could be?

I don't know what else it could be. It now turns over sometimes but doesn't stay on, it shuts down after 2 sec.

·
V-twins Rock
427 Posts
You might have a fuel problem. To me, your fuel pump sounded weird when you went to flip on the pump switch. The sound was very short. What all did you have to replace to get the R6 back on the road (ie. Electrical or fuel parts)?

When you put the R6 back together, did you buy a second hand fuel pump?

Did you pull on one of the fuel pump wires when you rebuilt it? It might have come loose.

Did you buy a new or used harness? One of your wires might be bad

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry for late reply.

I didn't replace much, no wiring replacement. I replaced the fuel pump.

I did not buy a second hand fuel pump. What is this? I didn't put it together, I had a mechanic put it together.

So any specific fuel part I should look at?

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
I did not buy a second hand fuel pump. What is this?
Second-hand fuel pump just means one that is used. If it was a used pump you bought, it could be a bad pump. If it was a new pump, it could still technically be bad, but it would be incredibly unlikely.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts