Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
'10+ models lost over 10hp?? (any changes after 2010?)

Just wondering if anyone can comment on this.. I stumbled across the WIKI page for R6, and found this disturbing piece of information. Not sure how much truth there is to it.

Basically says that 2010 R6(r) dropped 11.6hp from the '08/'09 models.

I can't see any other mechanical changes here.. wondering if this is true, and if so, why/how it lost all that power in 2010. I'm assuming it would have to be something to do with environmental limitations.. Would it be just the ECU programing, or something mechanically limiting the newer R6?

Also, does anyone know if any other changes have been made since 2010?

Thanks!

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
i don't understand the various readings, but you can be assured there is mega increase in midrange hp on the 08+ vs. the 06-07 model "r" model. The engine is very similar, but the introduction of the variable velocity stack system was/is a big deal on the 08+. I have read that the stock ecu had some tuning changes that had a slight decrease in 2010 but nothing as dramatic as 10bhp loss .. If you flash the box with chiefsmokedawg/bauce-racing there is nothing to worry about as those stock ecu settings would be history.

you will almost always get a better deal on an 06-07.. if you can swing it, get an 08 or newer. But DO NOT discount the 03-05 r6 or any "S" model. Very capable bike with the SAME midrange power as any 3rd gen r6 and a very track friendly chassie.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
The 06-07 really that different from the 08+? Just a midrange difference?
major..
big time..
oh-yea..
holy crap..

i could go on. it's all down to the variable stacks. the motor is very very similar. In fact i have an 07 2mm overbore sb motor in one of my two 2008 race bikes.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
The 06-07 really that different from the 08+? Just a midrange difference?
Melka is being abit dramatic. My 07 pulls just as hard as a similar piped stock motor 08+ down the front straight at roebling.
Some prefer the early chassis to the later one. The later chassis is abit softer. The early chassis could be described as twitchy if you rode a lazy feeling GSxR. :mrgreen:
I heard the 09 is the year to have for the best factory build power. :secret

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Melka is being abit dramatic. My 07 pulls just as hard as a similar piped stock motor 08+ down the front straight at roebling.
Some prefer the early chassis to the later one. The later chassis is abit softer. The early chassis could be described as twitchy if you rode a lazy feeling GSxR. :mrgreen:
I heard the 09 is the year to have for the best factory build power. :secret
running down the long straight at roebling is NOT midrange power.. you are shifting at peak HP. Off the corners, that is where midrange power comes into play. Not being dramatic at all.. i went from an 03, 04, and two 05's to WHAT THE F*** HAPPEND TO THE MIDRANGE on 2 brand new 2007's. OVER 12 hp down on the dyno to my 05's. The $5000 SUPERBIKE 2007 motor made the same midrange as my SUPERSPORT 2005 r6. No dramatics, just the truth. The top end of the 2007 was better (both supersport and superbike motors) but my 2007 supersport motor (and everyone else's) was way down on the good 2nd gen motors..

·
Registered
287 Posts
its all in the rider anyways. a good rider on an 03-05 will beat a mediocre rider on an 07, 08+.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
running down the long straight at roebling is NOT midrange power.. you are shifting at peak HP. Off the corners, that is where midrange power comes into play. Not being dramatic at all.. i went from an 03, 04, and two 05's to WHAT THE F*** HAPPEND TO THE MIDRANGE on 2 brand new 2007's. OVER 12 hp down on the dyno to my 05's. The $5000 SUPERBIKE 2007 motor made the same midrange as my SUPERSPORT 2005 r6. No dramatics, just the truth. The top end of the 2007 was better (both supersport and superbike motors) but my 2007 supersport motor (and everyone else's) was way down on the good 2nd gen motors..
That would be all fine & well if we all only rode stock bikes. With common mods (pipe, tune, etc) they are relatively close. Yes the 08s have the mid range replaced... and the 06-07s could have that missing midrange for the cost of parts.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i don't understand the various readings, but you can be assured there is mega increase in midrange hp on the 08+ vs. the 06-07 model "r" model. The engine is very similar, but the introduction of the variable velocity stack system was/is a big deal on the 08+. I have read that the stock ecu had some tuning changes that had a slight decrease in 2010 but nothing as dramatic as 10bhp loss .. If you flash the box with chiefsmokedawg/bauce-racing there is nothing to worry about as those stock ecu settings would be history.

you will almost always get a better deal on an 06-07.. if you can swing it, get an 08 or newer. But DO NOT discount the 03-05 r6 or any "S" model. Very capable bike with the SAME midrange power as any 3rd gen r6 and a very track friendly chassie.
Thanks Melkman. So, the engine's exactly the same from 08 onwards? Just Ecu software that makes the difference in power in varying years? I do have a Bauce flash running.. love it. Does this mean that my bike would be at no disadvantage to an 08, running a bauce edu as well?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
its all in the rider anyways. a good rider on an 03-05 will beat a mediocre rider on an 07, 08+.
Come on man that's an ignorant comment.

It has nothing to do with the rider.

Yes, a good rider on an 03-05 will beat a mediocre rider on an 07/08+, but what does this have to do with the topic, it's not even remotely relevant. I can spank many liter bikes on my wife's Repsol Honda 250. Does that make the 250 better than the liter bike? yes? Of course not.

We're talking about the difference in power in 08+ R6 vs 06/07, vs '10+.

Put a crappy rider on the bike, and it doesn't magically downgrade the engine. At worst, you'll see a few mediocre laps, giving you absolutely zero information about the actual performance of the bike.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Thanks Melkman. So, the engine's exactly the same from 08 onwards? Just Ecu software that makes the difference in power in varying years? I do have a Bauce flash running.. love it. Does this mean that my bike would be at no disadvantage to an 08, running a bauce edu as well?
Engine cases were updated in 08. You can see the difference in the countershaft area.
2010+ has slightly different clutch components.
2008+ should all make the same power (within OEM spec)
06/07-have a better cam profile (OEM build)
Supposedly 2009 is the strongest tune of all years. The variable stacks seem to react the quickest in that vintage.

·
sportbike noob
626 Posts
So what can you do to the 06-07's to regain what the 08+'s have? As my 06 sits now it has the 05 header swap with gytr slip on, smog block offs, ECU flash tune, -1 front sprocket, gytr race filter. Not sure what else you could do without getting into the motor.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
So what can you do to the 06-07's to regain what the 08+'s have? As my 06 sits now it has the 05 header swap with gytr slip on, smog block offs, ECU flash tune, -1 front sprocket, gytr race filter. Not sure what else you could do without getting into the motor.
you need the variable stacks/airbox from a later model.
then you will need a fuel tank, subframe, wire harness, ecu.

On a streetbike finding these parts in good condition with matching colors is expensive. On a trackbike not so much.

·
sportbike noob
626 Posts
Not real worried about it then. Its a streetbike. Just nice to have that extra power on tap when a dick on a gsxr pulls up on the freeway ;)

·
sportbike noob
626 Posts
Just keep the rpms above 10k then... should not be a problem! :lmao
I rode it pretty much stock last year. Most the people i ride with have gsxr's. With my fatass at 210 pounds and a stock 06 its safe to say they could pull me. Even my buddy on his turd of a cbr could a little. See what happens this year

1 - 20 of 20 Posts