Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just purchased a 2012 R6 with only 900kms on it. When taking off in first gear and low rpms I can hear a rattle noise from the engine area, to me it sounds like the engine timing chain. I had an 2008 r6s which never made any noise like that. The bike shifts good and drives normal. I don't know if this noise is normal, any help would be much appreciated. Hopefully I didn't buy a lemon.

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Hello, I just purchased a 2012 R6 with only 900kms on it. When taking off in first gear and low rpms I can hear a rattle noise from the engine area, to me it sounds like the engine timing chain. I had an 2008 r6s which never made any noise like that. The bike shifts good and drives normal. I don't know if this noise is normal, any help would be much appreciated. Hopefully I didn't buy a lemon.

Keep it over 5k. Its chatter from being at too low of an rpm. Just like clutch chatter in a car. Do a -1 front sprocket and that helps make it so you don't have to clutch the bike in at 20 MPH.

:YEA

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
I think I'm experiencing the same thing. It happens from a stop in first gear when I've only got the clutch about 1/2 way out. Sounds like a loose chain slapping.

Is that what you're experiencing?

I'm considering pulling apart the clutch at my next oil change just to have a look.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. If i hear the noise a little when i rev it in neutral as well, would that be considered normal as well? It seems that if i take off from a stand still in higher rpms, i dont hear the noise.... but its so loud and noticeable when i drive normal. Seems weird just because my 08 r6s didnt do that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The yamahas have the clutch chatter. My r1 did it too. Nothing to worry about I just get out of the friction zone as fast as I can. Also, try going down to idle speed in 2nd gear, no clutch, or gas. Then hit the gas & see if you hear the same noise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It does it if I try to go in any gear from low rpms... and I hear it in neutral if I rev the engine a little. Sounds exactly like a rattle from the engine timing chain, not the chain for the wheel. That's why I thought the engine was going to cost me some money. But the bike only has 900kms the previous owner never road it. My 08 r6s never did that, so I guess not all Yamaha bikes do this. Its good news to hear there's no actual problem!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts