Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what else runs the 13s coils? Everywhere I’m looking it’s anywhere from 75 to 120 for 1 brand new coil. Some insight would be greatly appreciated

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,005 Posts
Lemme walk you through how to find that out....

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,005 Posts
So 2008-2016 R6. No other bikes come up in the list.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks man, tried that already but u know sometimes the internet is wrong. Sometimes people will know something that u can’t find on the internet. Like resistance on the coils that match with the ones ur looking for but what do I know. I just joined a forum cuz I was hoping someone would know something I wouldn’t

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,005 Posts
Thsometimes the internet is wrong.
Which is why you should trust a database of part numbers over what some random dude on an internet forum might tell you.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I have a second gen bike, not a third gen like yours. The manual for my second gen does specify a lower resistance. The coils with the lower resistance of original equipment no longer seem to exist. Yes, those with higher resistances work. The trade off is much less gap tolerance. I noticed this in testing with a spark gap tester. This translates to a more frequent re-gap. That is, less mileage between having to pull and re-gap the plugs. Copper is by far the best conductor and therefore the best performer. In addition, the NGK copper plugs are an anti-fowl design. (larger conductor surface area) The manual offers a heat range of 9 or 10 with a 0.6~0.7mm gap (0.0236~0.0276"). Any deviation from spec is NOT recommended. That being said, and being all street, to compensate for the much more frequent re-gap interval, I switched from copper to iridium. (ruthenium wasn't/isn't yet available in our plug package) To compensate for the fact that there are no NGK anti-fowl designs for iridium, I switched the heat range from 10 to 8. Plug inspection will tell you whether you're too hot or incomplete burn. Too hot could result with preignition and possible engine damage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a second gen bike, not a third gen like yours. The manual for my second gen does specify a lower resistance. The coils with the lower resistance of original equipment no longer seem to exist. Yes, those with higher resistances work. The trade off is much less gap tolerance. I noticed this in testing with a spark gap tester. This translates to a more frequent re-gap. That is, less mileage between having to pull and re-gap the plugs. Copper is by far the best conductor and therefore the best performer. In addition, the NGK copper plugs are an anti-fowl design. (larger conductor surface area) The manual offers a heat range of 9 or 10 with a 0.6~0.7mm gap (0.0236~0.0276"). Any deviation from spec is NOT recommended. That being said, and being all street, to compensate for the much more frequent re-gap interval, I switched from copper to iridium. (ruthenium wasn't/isn't yet available in our plug package) To compensate for the fact that there are no NGK anti-fowl designs for iridium, I switched the heat range from 10 to 8. Plug inspection will tell you whether you're too hot or incomplete burn. Too hot could result with preignition and possible engine damage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How many miles between the regaps? Do u remember the ignition coil part # you used?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Using a spark gap tester (meaning a dry atmospheric pressure,) maximum gap tolerance on the higher resistance coil was only a small fraction of what it was for the OEM spec coils. That is, the point at which spark became unreliable. I didn't expect it to work when installed, but it did. I have no precise numbers and could only speculate about tolerances under a wet 12.1:1 compression. The coils came from energycoil.com/products/yzf-r6-2007-2017 BTW it says USA but I think they're actually Canadian.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Interesting, in my 2005 model I put these.

Ignition Stick Coil Yamaha YZF R6 2003 | eBay

They are Japanese, in theory OEM quality, but do not check all that data that you have said. Failure on my part, it does not hurt to know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts