Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Background: 2012 yamaha r6, 10000km, pcv.
Bike was imported from the states by the dealership.
Parked in october for winter, but couldn’t bring it back home before winter, so it sadly stayed outside for the winter. Tried to start it a week ago, battery was dead. Boosted it, so turns over, but doesn’t start.

Work done:
-PCV completly removed, bike returned to stock conditions
-Battery changed, brand new one in there now
-Removed spark plugs, gaping is 0.026”, still within specs
-Coils checked with meter, both testing good within specs
-Plugged coils, and spark plugs, getting a very good spark (plugs are around a year old)
-Injectors spraying in cylinders
-Air filter in good shape
-Diag shows no error codes
-Fuses are all good, no broken one - didn’t replace any

Findings:
-Spark plugs were relatively loose. Made sure to retight them before reassembling the bike
-TPS a bit lower than specs (15 closed, 95 open in D01)
-Fuel pump in good shape, oring in places, pressure is there for sure
-Compression was around 145psi on each cylinders. This is a cold and dry test
-Sometimes while turning the key to the “on” position, the coolant sensor will report “HI”, but then in diag the numbers are good
-Flip over reporting 0.6V (

So when I try to start it, it will turn over, but doesn’t exceed starter’s speed. I still have the old gas in the tank (1/8 of a tank, and added new premium to reach roughly 1/2 tank).

If gas is pourred straight in the cylinders, it will start and run for maybe 1-2 seconds then die. This is when adding the same gas from the tank.

I have to say I’m very puzzled by this. I have the basic air,gas,spark combination so I should have atleast a start but nothing.
Lapping of the valves shouldn’t really be an issue since the mileage is very low on the bike (10000km, so thats around 6000miles?).

Any ideas are welcome, I don’t know what to do anymore!

Thank you!

·
Registered
2008 Yellow Flame R6R
69 Posts
You said fuel pressure is there, but how much? Spec I believe should be 47psig. Get an inline pressure gauge and check. You mention you were able to fire it up by dumping fuel into the cylinders. Also pull up the fuel tank and check for any kinks in the fuel line. Check all connections which include hoses and electrical.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Everything is plugged underneat the tank. No kinks on fuel lines neither. Fuel pump primes good.
Ill check this weekend for the exact fuel pressure.

thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used my compression tester as a fuel pressure guage.

38psi. So a bit under the required 47psi.

I’m curious about the fuel setup. There is no fuel pressure regulator. From what I understand it would be part of the fuel pump assembly. On top of it, that small hard plastic “u-bend”?

So I wonder if the pump or that regulator thing that cause the problem.

I’ve been using walbro pumps on my cars for a while, I could probably swap one in there? They use the same size of pump but with a higher flow.

otherwise, any suggestion for aftermarket pumps I could use?

Thank you

·
Registered
2008 Yellow Flame R6R
69 Posts
You have a fuel pressure regulator connected to the fuel rail after the pump. It should look like a cylinder attached with a vacuum hose. Did you ever get the bike started?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haven’t worked on it yet. I just got switched on night shift.

i thought the regulator thing on the fuel rail was for bikes up to 2010?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts