Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Try to make the story quick and get down to main issue.
Riding home from work the bike shut off on me. After hour of troubleshooting found 3 fuses blown and that my seat had rubbed through my main wiring harness because i didn't put back as i should when i put fender eliminator in. I half ass taped them together, replaced fuses and still wouldnt start. Ended up figuring out i could unplug the clutch switch, in neutral, kick stand up, jump the starter and it would go. It would only run about 5 miles at a time and shut off but i made it home.

Fast forward, i "fixed" the wiring issue and found the neutral switch had blown so replaced that. Bike starts up like you would hope. As soon as kick in gear it shuts off. Like the kickstands down. Test kickstand and theres no issue. Test the main relay and find an open circuit. Order new relay ($50), put it in and still shuts down when kick into gear.

Thoughts? Anyone able to tell me what the wires going to the main relay each are? Found a diagram but dont know how to bypass it for testing sake. Which ones run the kickstand shut off? At a loss at this point but fighting to avoid taking it to yamaha and think im just missing something dumb.

Dale

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
The kickstand switch wire at the relay end is blue/black. Check continuity between there and the switch to see which wire on the switch it goes to since they are both black. Then see if you get continuity to the other wire when the switch is closed. That end goes to ground. This signal comes into the relay from the main switch on the blue/yellow wire. So you should see some voltage there when the switch is on.

You can verify the diode in the relay by using the diode setting and seeing some resistance between the blue/black and blue/yellow wires, and infinite resistance when you reverse the leads.

I'm looking at my 2008 diagrams, but the colors shouldn't have changed.

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
Or find the blue 2 prong clip for the kickstand. I do believe it's wrapped under tape on top of the wiring harness right by the ecu. Disconnect and put a piece of wire across the 2 prongs and see if it works? If it does you can get a kickstand switch, I might have one...Or cut and solder the 2 wires together and ride out lol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's time to commit to figuring this out now that it's little cold and sold my house so my times much more freed up. The kickstand is not the problem. It's definitely somewhere else.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts