Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

2014 R6 vs 2014 zx6r

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, this is my first post and im very happy to be in this forum.

So, i have a 2009 R6 but i want to buy a brand new bike, Im very happy with yamaha but some people are saying that the zx6r is better and it comes with abs, the price is not an issue (choosing between this two bikes) so i really dont know what to do, i know I am in a R6 forum but i know some guys have tried different bikes and i haven´t set my mind on which bike should i buy. Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance guys

:toocool:

·
Registered
122 Posts
How many miles on your 09'? Anything wrong with it? The 2014 R6 wont be any different than the one you have now, so it would be a waste to buy, unless yours is falling apart for some reason.

That being said, the ZX6R is a great bike, can't go wrong with it, or an R6, or any of the 600's really. They're all so close in performance that it's really down to preference.

·
2008 R6: Maya!
70 Posts
I have both of them: an 08 R6 and a 2013 ZX636.
A lot of people ask me about the same question: which one is better?
First: the answer. Second: the reason why the quesion makes not so much sense.

The answer: ZX636 is a better super sport from almost every single aspect: handling, weight centralization, power, cornering, electronics, etc. However, the main aspects I think are oustanding are:
1. torque: you don't have to rev the hell out of the bike to get some serious punch of power, so it accelerates faster
2. Electronics: for daily commuting, the LOW mode gives you 70% (is it 80%?) of the whole pack of horses, so milleage should be better
3. Traction control: the KTC systems gives you an additional safety by providing you the option of three different set ups (plus the OFF mode) for maximum acceleration, slipery and wet. Yes, this doesn't affect the bike performance, but it makes it a machine with more alternatives (and more contemporary ones)

Now, the reason why I think the question makes not so much sense, at a least at the comparison point: basically they are machines with electronics, components and technology with eight years of difference!! That is a lot! Is comparing the performance of a brand new Porsche, with almost the same model of Porsche but developed eight to ten years before: the new one, most of the times, will be always better.

Now, I'm not an expert pilot, I like to make lots of roadtrips, and also use them for daily commuting. I have had both of them in some track days, and for my tipe of riding, the ZX636 let me take her until the border of the wheel (with the R6 I've had alwas about 5 to 8 milimeters of "Chicken stripes").
The point here is, for an average rider, both of these machines have power you'll never get to use, so I would say: go for the one you think is the prettiest!

I hope this works for you. Ride safe!
LF

·
TrackDaz Dude
359 Posts
If you've got money burning a hole in your pocket.. Go racing :)

seriously though, I'd say stick with the bike you have for now. The other bike is newer, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're better. I know a bunch of people who got them to race and struggled to make them handle properly.. Switching back to an R6, and were lap record pace.. For the average-Joe.. While I recommend the R6, all the bikes can pretty much be chosen by which color they like better, or which one they feel looks the coolest. The funny thing is, I still think of all the current 600's out there, the R6 still looks the best.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
If you're really set on buying a new bike, check out the Kawasaki. The 2014 R6 is pretty much identical to the bike you already own. If you prefer the R6, might as well just keep the one you have. Unless yours is totally clapped out or something, then by all means, pick up another one. :laugh

You might get better advice if you specify what you're going to be doing with the bike. Canyons? Commuting? Track days? Racing? Touring (lulz)?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First thank you guys for the great advices!

How many miles on your 09'? Anything wrong with it? The 2014 R6 wont be any different than the one you have now, so it would be a waste to buy, unless yours is falling apart for some reason.

That being said, the ZX6R is a great bike, can't go wrong with it, or an R6, or any of the 600's really. They're all so close in performance that it's really down to preference.
it´like 25k miles, and there´s nothing wrong with it, I just want to have a latest model :D, and yeah! i know they´re so close, the only plus of the ZX6R is the ABS brakes

I have both of them: an 08 R6 and a 2013 ZX636.
A lot of people ask me about the same question: which one is better?
First: the answer. Second: the reason why the quesion makes not so much sense.

The answer: ZX636 is a better super sport from almost every single aspect: handling, weight centralization, power, cornering, electronics, etc. However, the main aspects I think are oustanding are:
1. torque: you don't have to rev the hell out of the bike to get some serious punch of power, so it accelerates faster
2. Electronics: for daily commuting, the LOW mode gives you 70% (is it 80%?) of the whole pack of horses, so milleage should be better
3. Traction control: the KTC systems gives you an additional safety by providing you the option of three different set ups (plus the OFF mode) for maximum acceleration, slipery and wet. Yes, this doesn't affect the bike performance, but it makes it a machine with more alternatives (and more contemporary ones)

Now, the reason why I think the question makes not so much sense, at a least at the comparison point: basically they are machines with electronics, components and technology with eight years of difference!! That is a lot! Is comparing the performance of a brand new Porsche, with almost the same model of Porsche but developed eight to ten years before: the new one, most of the times, will be always better.

Now, I'm not an expert pilot, I like to make lots of roadtrips, and also use them for daily commuting. I have had both of them in some track days, and for my tipe of riding, the ZX636 let me take her until the border of the wheel (with the R6 I've had alwas about 5 to 8 milimeters of "Chicken stripes").
The point here is, for an average rider, both of these machines have power you'll never get to use, so I would say: go for the one you think is the prettiest!

I hope this works for you. Ride safe!
LF

Thank´s for the review! well i know it´s very different, like i´ve said is just the ABS brakes, some people say the ZX6R is just more easy to handle but I don`t really know, the use for the new bike is some daily use commute and weekend trips along with a couple of track days a year.

seriously though, I'd say stick with the bike you have for now. The other bike is newer, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're better. I know a bunch of people who got them to race and struggled to make them handle properly.. Switching back to an R6, and were lap record pace.. For the average-Joe.. While I recommend the R6, all the bikes can pretty much be chosen by which color they like better, or which one they feel looks the coolest. The funny thing is, I still think of all the current 600's out there, the R6 still looks the best.

Haha lol, i mean the money issue between this to bike is not an issue because there´s no big difference. You´re right about maybe keeping the same bike because i´m use to it, but i just want a latest model to see whats new and "upgrade" my ride, and yes! the R6 is the best looking, im just thinking about the ABS and which one is more confortable and better to handle or easiest to handle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you're really set on buying a new bike, check out the Kawasaki. The 2014 R6 is pretty much identical to the bike you already own. If you prefer the R6, might as well just keep the one you have. Unless yours is totally clapped out or something, then by all means, pick up another one. :laugh

You might get better advice if you specify what you're going to be doing with the bike. Canyons? Commuting? Track days? Racing? Touring (lulz)?

Mine is just with some issues, well right now it´s nothing wrong with it but im tired to replace parts and stuff.

well the use i´m planning to this new bike is commute, and a couple track days a year, but a lot of weekend roadtrips.

Thank you

·
2008 R6: Maya!
70 Posts

Yes, I forgot that: I still think the looks of the R6 is great, better than the ZX6R.

·
Dangerously Irish
9,550 Posts
First thank you guys for the great advices!

it´like 25k miles, and there´s nothing wrong with it, I just want to have a latest model :D, and yeah! i know they´re so close, the only plus of the ZX6R is the ABS brakes
you want the latest model R6? OK, Buy a 2014 ECU put it in your 09, buy the 2014 plastics put it on your bike. Switch out your rear sets and shift rod for power coated black ones.

And you are done. You now have the latest model R6.

Seriously /thread.

If you want a change go with the kawi 636 You will punch yourself if you buy a 2014 R6 and have an 09 laying around it's the same bike..... Madness

or wait and see if the 2015 R6 drops and Yamaha quits doing a recolor of the same damn bike since 08 and does something new with balls on it. IF I had the scratch I'd be on something next GEN like a BMW S1000RR Go big or go home Screw it. :laugh

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Mine is just with some issues, well right now it´s nothing wrong with it but im tired to replace parts and stuff.

well the use i´m planning to this new bike is commute, and a couple track days a year, but a lot of weekend roadtrips.

Thank you
Hmm, I know this isn't what you're looking for, but why not an FZ-09 (aka, trackpimp's Factory Stuntbike ;) ) or KTM Supermoto or Triumph Street Triple - something that's way more comfortable for the commute and road trip miles, but still sporty enough to be a blast at the track? Not to mention top level hooligan fun on the streets.

If you're dead set on a sportbike, given you've already put 25k miles on an R6, and what you're planning on doing with the bike, I'd go with the Kawi, just to try out something new for awhile.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you want the latest model R6? OK, Buy a 2014 ECU put it in your 09, buy the 2014 plastics put it on your bike. Switch out your rear sets and shift rod for power coated black ones.

Seriously /thread.

If you want a change go with the kawi 636 You will punch yourself if you buy a 2014 R6 and have an 09 laying around it's the same bike..... Madness

or wait and see if the 2015 R6 drops and Yamaha quits doing a recolor of the same damn bike since 08 and does something new with balls on it. IF I had the scratch I'd be on something next GEN like a BMW S1000RR Go big or go home Screw it. :laugh
Yes you´re definitely right, i don´t know if i´m going to wait for the 2015 r6 or to buy the kawi just to change a little, however i´m very happy with yamaha.

And i was looking at the s1000rr but i don´t have that kind of money right now!

thank you for the advice!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmm, I know this isn't what you're looking for, but why not an FZ-09 (aka, trackpimp's Factory Stuntbike ;) ) or KTM Supermoto or Triumph Street Triple - something that's way more comfortable for the commute and road trip miles, but still sporty enough to be a blast at the track? Not to mention top level hooligan fun on the streets.

If you're dead set on a sportbike, given you've already put 25k miles on an R6, and what you're planning on doing with the bike, I'd go with the Kawi, just to try out something new for awhile.
The fz-09 is very beautiful, but like you said im dead set on a sportbike, i'm planning to sell my bike and then buy the other one, i'm thinking about trying something new with the kawi, i'm just a little insecure about the Kawasaki quality some people talk about.

and i'm just curious how effective, useful and worthy are the abs in a sport bike?? some people say they are just a waste of money

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts

Seriously /thread.

:werd

·
"Old Slow Guy"
40 Posts
I think it all depends on riding position. The R6 will feel almost exactly the same as the one you already have. The (I believe) 06 and newer R6 and CBR's all feel more like you are sitting way up "on" the bike, while the ZX and GSXR's feel more like you're sitting down "in" the bike. For long distance riding, I prefer sitting "in" the bike, it's just more comfortable for me, which is why I ride a '05 GSXR750.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I would for sure just wait to see if there is a new R6 for '15. If not, then might as well just get the Kawi, since the '14 R6 is no different to what already have. If you are jonesing for a new/different bike, and for some reason can't wait to see if the '15 Yam is changed, then just go get a Kawi. They seem awesome.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts