Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All

I was going to rebuild my 08 shock but I got a good deal on a 2019 shock that came off a brand new bike Apperently they fit.

Has anyone done this mod and if so was there and improvement?

·
It's only $$$...
18 Posts
Its a mixed bag. It'll be a direct bolt on, so it "will fit". The only real difference is a ramp vs threaded collar adjuster for preload.

As far as functionality, it will be better than your old shock only because its much fresher, but changing a shock on an R6 is such a pain that I wouldn't bother unless I was gonna significantly upgrade.

I know its a kick in the wallet, but you should try to source an Ohlins, Penske, or K Tech if your can. Valved and sprung for your weight, pace, and geometry set for your preferred tire. Otherwise you're just gonna be chasing variables.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a mixed bag. It'll be a direct bolt on, so it "will fit". The only real difference is a ramp vs threaded collar adjuster for preload.

As far as functionality, it will be better than your old shock only because its much fresher, but changing a shock on an R6 is such a pain that I wouldn't bother unless I was gonna significantly upgrade.

I know its a kick in the wallet, but you should try to source an Ohlins, Penske, or K Tech if your can. Valved and sprung for your weight, pace, and geometry set for your preferred tire. Otherwise you're just gonna be chasing variables.
Appreciate the reply.

Ye I only paid $245 Usd for it so worth a shot. I agree on the Ohlins and I will buy one eventually but im not very quick on a bike yet. Cars are more my thing so working on the bike is a doddle in comparison also.

I will set it up with stock settings and see how I go on track. I do actually prefer the 08 preload adjuster.

·
It's only $$$...
18 Posts
$$$TWO-FORTAH-FIVVVEEEE!!!???

I woulda given you mine!

Its not terrible actually for a newer one. And as far as stock suspension goes, R6 has about the best.

Stock settings will be fine for the street. But if your tracking it you'll need a baseline setup ($40).

Not sure what the rates are exactly but the stock stuff seems sprung for a 155-180lbs rider. If you're in there or close you can run it pretty deep into the corners.

·
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!
4,809 Posts
Appreciate the reply.
Ye I only paid $245 Usd for it so worth a shot. I agree on the Ohlins and I will buy one eventually but im not very quick on a bike yet. Cars are more my thing so working on the bike is a doddle in comparison also.
I will set it up with stock settings and see how I go on track. I do actually prefer the 08 preload adjuster.
for a stock shock??? Did it have any work done to it??
$200 is about the going rate for refreshing an aftermarket shock... and theres a metric ton of them around in the $3-400 range. I think a JRI shock is only $600 new. Penske is ~800ish for the 3 way.

Even resprung... a stock shock is going to start wallowing once some heat is put into it. Thats the biggest difference from an aftermarket unit.

Penske is pretty modular as well and fits a variety of applications.

An inexpensive suspension service, one could do with some time & simple tools... lubing ALL the pivots. Will net you ~10mm of sag and make a stock shock work abit better.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
for a stock shock??? Did it have any work done to it??
$200 is about the going rate for refreshing an aftermarket shock... and theres a metric ton of them around in the $3-400 range. I think a JRI shock is only $600 new. Penske is ~800ish for the 3 way.

Even resprung... a stock shock is going to start wallowing once some heat is put into it. Thats the biggest difference from an aftermarket unit.

Penske is pretty modular as well and fits a variety of applications.

An inexpensive suspension service, one could do with some time & simple tools... lubing ALL the pivots. Will net you ~10mm of sag and make a stock shock work abit better.
Ye its a stock shock from a new 2019 bike. In Australia it costs $250 Aud for a service so I bought a 2019 shock for $360 Aud(inc delivery from Germany to Aus) the design/valving has been improved since 08 and it doesnt need a service for a long time. I can sell my stock shock for $150 Aud so its a pretty good deal.

I already done 2 track days and im nowhere near maxing out the stock shock. Until Im committed to doing a lot of motorcycle track days I dont want to spend big $$ on a Ohlins TTX yet. We have a Ohlins service centre near my house so thats why I will only buy Ohlins in the aftermarket.

Thanks for the info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts