Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
COLOSSUS206
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the Lightech chain adjusters on my 2017 R6 and had a couple of issues. First, because of the way they're set up the axle now goes in from right to left. No big issue as several bike manufactures have their motorcycles set up this way. The second and more significant is that the axle nut will not completely seat. The adjusters take up just enough space that the nut will not go down all the way. I could remove the washer and may get it down all the way but I just wanted to know if anyone else had this issue.

Thanks,

·
COLOSSUS206
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nevermind. I measured the stock nut and washer. The nut is 14mm in height and the washer is 3mm giving me a total of 17mm. I ordered the Gilles titanium nut which has a total height of 12mm, incorporates a washer within the design, and has a separate locking feature. Problem solved.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just installed the Lightech chain adjusters on my 2017 R6 and had a couple of issues. First, because of the way they're set up the axle now goes in from right to left. No big issue as several bike manufactures have their motorcycles set up this way. The second and more significant is that the axle nut will not completely seat. The adjusters take up just enough space that the nut will not go down all the way. I could remove the washer and may get it down all the way but I just wanted to know if anyone else had this issue.

Thanks,
I just got mine in and was in the process of searching for an answer to if it matters what side the axle is put in and apparently it doesn't, so thank you for that! On another note in the directions it does say to not use the washer.

·
COLOSSUS206
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just got mine in and was in the process of searching for an answer to if it matters what side the axle is put in and apparently it doesn't, so thank you for that! On another note in the directions it does say to not use the washer.
I must have missed that on installation but I still didn’t feel comfortable not have the load distributed with a washer. The Gilles nut fit the bill and added a little bling to the ride. On another note, I’ll be getting rid of my Lighttech adjusters soon as I purchased the semi-quick rear wheel remove and install from Fast Frank which also includes a new set of Lighttech chain adjusters.

·
COLOSSUS206
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes. I knew someone would want pictures. I’ll take a few pictures of my current setup and post them as well as post pics of the Fast Frank rear wheel mod.?

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
412 Posts
Are they $269 worth easier to use?

·
COLOSSUS206
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I frequently maintain my bike which means adjusting the chain almost weekly. These dramatically reduce the time required for a adjustments and make it much easier to make precise adjustments to the rear wheel alignment so in my case I would say they are worth the money. It just depends on your maintenance frequency and how OCD you are with keeping things at their peak of maintenance. Adds a nice bit of bling to the setup also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
412 Posts
No I hear you... I put off adjusting my chain because the bolts are a pain in the ass to dial in. Will definitely get a set..

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
412 Posts
Mine arrived today. Black. Not sure why they don't anodize the axle blocks. I set them both to the same value. Axle had to go in from right side. Tried to swap the blocks but you have to take the detent apart so left it. I discovered the axle covers up the gauge on the head (right) side. Luckily I went equal clicks as I set my slack. Next time I'll have to notch my axle to show the index marks and scale.

·
COLOSSUS206
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine arrived today. Black. Not sure why they don't anodize the axle blocks. I set them both to the same value. Axle had to go in from right side. Tried to swap the blocks but you have to take the detent apart so left it. I discovered the axle covers up the gauge on the head (right) side. Luckily I went equal clicks as I set my slack. Next time I'll have to notch my axle to show the index marks and scale.
Yes. I saw the same issue but I don’t rely on the graduate lines on the chain adjusters for my wheel alignment. I use the motion pro alignment tool to make sure my rear sprocket is in line with the front. I always do this after adjusting my chain.

Once a year, usually in early spring, I double check my alignment by checking the distance from the center of the swing arm pivot to the center of the rear axle. So far, setting the rear sprocket to the front seems very accurate.

I really have to put up some pictures of my setup...

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
412 Posts
I don't know if the marks are accurate vs center line of the swing arm yet..

·
COLOSSUS206
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't know if the marks are accurate vs center line of the swing arm yet..
I know. I would just get the sprocket alignment tool and stick to that for now. There are many of those out there. MotionPro makes one but there are a lot of cheap copies on Amazon. I have 3 of them. One from MotionPro and the others where some cheap chinese knock offs. They all work the same.

The ticks on the adjusters will get you close. The alignment tool will get you closer.

There are a few YouTube videos which show you how to do it MC garage with Ari Henning is a good one. He goes through a few different methods of wheel alignment.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts