Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No they definitely changed it. I tried the two buttons, I tried them with the fuel pump connector pulled off, i tired a very random number of things with holding one or both of the buttons along with the traction control buttons and the mode selector button. Cannot figure out how to get a 2017 into diagnostic mode.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
yes they did change it. the R1 doesn't have one either. it's because of Euro 4 rules.
yeah, we have to deal with their shit too.

the other thing that sucks if you set off a trouble code it doesn't go away on it's own. you have to get a dealer to erase it now. and if there is a code you have no control over the rider settings such as power modes etc. you also can't install smog block offs etc on the bike anymore without trouble codes. at least on the R1.
the bikes will eventually (2020) have the same system as cars for checking trouble codes. it's called OBDII.

this is all thanks to some dickweed politicians in europe...
Emissions impossible; what Euro 4 really means | MCN

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Wow that seems completely and utterly stupid and a PITA. Great more reasons to have to go to the stealership and give them your years earnings to clear a stupid error code.

But what special tool will the dealer have that we wouldn't have access to, or procedures to troubleshoot and clear error codes that we won't learn over time.

Guess it's a good thing I am stuck with my 2007 for many more years till I can afford an upgrade, haha.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Wow that seems completely and utterly stupid and a PITA. Great more reasons to have to go to the stealership and give them your years earnings to clear a stupid error code.

But what special tool will the dealer have that we wouldn't have access to, or procedures to troubleshoot and clear error codes that we won't learn over time.

Guess it's a good thing I am stuck with my 2007 for many more years till I can afford an upgrade, haha.
Guys are saying flashtune is working on a way around it. Racers will need all of that disabled. As if now any error code locks the bike up to wherr you cant change the rider modes etc.
so far this is what is going on with the r1. Im hoping they decide to send us different systems here in the states. But not looking like it since the 17 is missing the diag mode.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Whats the perk of getting the bike in diagnostic mode?
you can test all of the electronics via the instrument cluster. it would show you a value of the sensors. and the manual would tell you what the sensors values should show.
it was the greatest thing of any manufacture could ever do. it started all the way back in 2003 for the R6. I dont know when it came out on the R1. I wish this shit was mandatory on all vehicles. it is basically like having a $10k snap on scan tool. it would even test the coils and the injectors individually. it would make relays click so you could tell if they work or not. and so on.

it's bullshit anyone is allowed to manufacture cars, bikes or trucks, and keep all of that info so god damn secret you end up having to buy a new one because no one can fix the damn thing.
yamaha was the king of that shit and now they have seemingly been forced to give it up by ****ing politicians that don't give a **** about anything other than making everyone's vehicles a god damn nightmare to work on.
thats where all the OBD1 and OBDII shit came from. I always thought it was the usa but I think it's been europe's shit all along.

I could be wrong about all of this. but this is the rumor over on the R1 forum at the moment. the 17 has just came out like the R6. so it's only been a month or so. but so far the few guys that have one can't get it into diagnostic mode. and once a check engine light comes on it becomes locked down and they can't even change the rider modes. if this is something yamaha did themselves well they need a swift kick in their ass. but it's supposedly due to Euro 4 emissions.
soon someone hopefully steps up and buys a manual and lets everyone know if it's gone for real or just uses a different method to access it than before.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ok guys, so I went ahead a purchased a 30 day copy of an e-service manual from Yamaha. I ended up having to do this, because when I removed the survo motor and installed a survo mod by Dynojet, it still tripped the check engine light and now it is stuck on. Nothing is actually going on differently with the bike apart from that light being on which bugs the hell out of me.

So, I purchased that e-copy and this is where I am at with it;
https://yamahapubs.com/results.php?cat-id=3&year=2017&family=YZF-R6&lang=en 30 day trial is only 14$. Trying to figure out how to rip them off and download the actual copy of the book, but I haven't been able to.

What I got from the manual is this;

There is now an actual diagnostic port under the seat, on the left hand side of the battery which had a rubber cover over it. The connector itself is white. This is their diagnostic connector.

They sell their "Yamaha Diagnostic Tool" for around $590.00. I found a website that sells it for $534.00
90890-03254-00 Yamaha Service Diagnosis Tool $534.12 - 2WheelPros

This part number was listed in the service manual and it comes with a computer and four wires (AV and USB). I will be receiving this in a couple of days.

They also list in the service manual an adapter which says as a "Tip" Any generic scan tool can be used to scan for malfunctions and it lists the adapter;
In the manual, this part number gives you two wires, it looks like an OBD connector on one end and the actual yamaha specific piece on the other. It also gives you another triangular adapter which I believe is used for the MX bikes, but I'm not sure.

90890-03249-00 Yamaha Obd/gst Leadwire Kit $85.47 - 2WheelPros

This part I did not purchase because it only says you can scan with it and I am not sure if you can actually clear the codes, which I need to in order to get rid of the check light for the EXUP eliminator. The adapter is much much cheaper than buying the whole computer so if you already have a OBD scanner it may be worth just buying the wire and giving it a shot.

I have attached the picture of the port on the bike.

I also attached a shot of the exhaust I am putting on once I get the headers in, which will also be in a couple days.

Once I get the diagnostic computer from yamaha, I'll post up some pictures for you guys to look at and at least have an understanding of the crap that is now needed to go through. Should have just kept my 2015 R6...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
nice research shots. kind of sucks everyone has to buy a damn adapter and a scan tool now. that's a lot of coin. the problem is I doubt any scan tools on the market for cars will actually work on the R6. my 15 R1 has that connector also. but we still got the diagnostic function built into the stock ecu. all of this comes down to the gov not wanting people to be able to turn off the check engine light to trick emission testers. i remember when my state had emission testing. if you had a check engine light on your car failed right off the bat. they wouldn't even test it. you had to get it fixed first and show proof via work orders it was performed.
seems europe is causing a lot of bs for everyone even here.

I've heard rumors that FTECU has a way around this issue. I don't know any other details. sounds like with a flash you can read/erase codes now.

I'm definitely bookmarking this post.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ok so here is most likely the final update. In the original post I had mentioned that I was ordering the Yamaha computer diagnostic tool. Well that was on national back order and I would not have gotten that for a couple months. So I ordered the OBD/GST wire kit I had also mentioned in the original post. I got that today and it worked, however I still have a check light being kicked and I'll get into that at the end of the post.

So the OB/GST wire kit will indeed work with ANY OBD II scanner and clear the code properly. This is what I got with the wire kit, and OBD II connection with the R6 connector and a three way connector which I believe is for the dirt bikes, but I am not sure. Then I got another three pronged wire with a positive and negative and some other lead. I'm also not sure what these are for. This kit costs about $85 from the website I mentioned, perhaps you can find one cheaper. The part number is listed in the service manual.

Then you connect the OBD II into ANY motor vehicle scanner. Such as this one that I purchased for about $60 today at my local store. It reads and clears codes.

So then you connect it up into the square port on the bike, just to the left of the battery near the ECU

Once the scanner loads all the way in, some devices will want you to select a vehicle. Just select one, it doesn't matter. OBD codes kick out the same way. I selected Suzuki, Toyota and Honda and it spit out all the same code - P0746 which in the service manual, translates having to do with EXUP valve that I removed. So it will read the code and then I clear it. The light goes away and all is OK. Now for some people this will be it, they unplug it and go on their merry way.

For me, I purchased a Dyno Jet EXUP removal module from Cycle Gear. Got it, installed it and it threw the light. Which brought me here. I asked for them to send me another one, got that one installed it, CLEARED the light and about 10 mins later it sends the light again. SO I called Dyno Jet and they provide no support for it and it even says on the paper work that gets sent from Cycle Gear that it works on the 2006-2010 model. Now you and I know that from 2008-2016 the bike hasn't changed much, but PERHAPS 2017 did which some of their electronic components with their exhaust especially because the EXUP Motor is actually under the fuel tank now and not behind the rear spring. So I called my local shop and spoke with a tech there and he said that the only people that offer support for the EXUP eliminator is Graves Motorsports. Yamaha also lists them on their manufacturer website and offers it as a OEM type of after market part. Also via their website, they say specifically it will turn off the engine light with regards to the exhaust issue. Now for face value, they look exactly the same, pictures on websites I can't tell a difference. But maybe there is something, so I ordered that and RMA'd the Dyno Jet EXUP and am waiting for the Graves part. Just FYI, the bike runs perfectly fine, it is NOT in a limp home mode and it DOES allow me to switch TCS modes and Ride modes without issue.

However, that is my issue and if that doesn't work then I may have to flash the ECU over the winter time when I am not riding. I may end up doing it anyway, so if anyone has anyone reputable for flashing the ECU, let me know.

I also have attached some final pictures of the bike and this is what I have done to it so far; M4 Y-Pipe (cut the cat off like on the older models), Akrapovic new 2017 GP Slip on for this model year (No different from the others, however it is the WSBK look), Power Commander with a custom map (available if anyone would like it, PM me), the Yamaha Up Quickshifter, Graves frame sliders, Yamaha engine cover kit, rear seat delete (IMU may be coming), and mirror block offs.

So I hope this helps people in the future and if you have any questions, I could try and answer them.

For the service manuals visit Yamahapubs. They have the e-book for like 14$. I couldn't manage to rip it off at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
if you plan on getting the ecu flashed they can turn off the cel for the exup motor. (will never come on again)
be 100% sure you clear all cel codes before you send it off to be flashed.

a lot of guys send their ecu to superbike unlimited.
I bought the flash kit to do it myself. which enables me to change the maps etc too. eliminating the need for a power commander etc.

I'm a little upset at the newer bikes going to this OBDII crap. yamaha is not even making a YEC race ecu for the 2017 R6.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: 2017 R6 Diagnostic Mode / OBD2 Connector/adaptor

Hi All,

First, I would like to thank “Shots” for sharing info on his post and posting the helpful photos.

I appreciate the people who contribute to this forum as it’s been very helpful to me. So here is my small contribution to this forum. I brought a genuine Yamaha OBD 2 adaptor for the 2017 R6 so I can use it with the BlueDriver ODB2 bluetooth scanner to reader/clear codes. The Yamaha adaptor was $80 (Yamaha Part # 90890-03249), I couldn’t find a cheap eBay version of the adaptor so I had to buy the real thing from Yamaha. I was able to read and clear codes with the BlueDriver used with the Yamaha OBD2 adaptor. You can use a different OBD2 scanner but I decided to purchase the BlueDriver which is more versatile in many ways compared to a regular wired ODB2 scanner.

For those who do not want to spend $80 on a genuine Yamaha OBD2 adaptor and want to make one for themselves, I have attached photos of the harness for both sides of the adaptor and the wires that go to the corresponding pins/slots on both the OBD2 connector and the Yamaha 4 pin connector side. The Yamaha OBD2 adaptor set (90890-03249) came with two separate harnesses. The other harness without the OBD2 connection I did not use and I am not sure what it's used for. The harness I used with the ODB2 harness does have two male connectors on the opposite side, one with 4 pin connection and the other with three pin connection. The connection needed to connect the OBD2 scanner to the R6 is the connection with the 4 pins which attaches to the female connector located under the seat and placed on the left side of the ECU of the 2017 Yamaha R6.

*Liability Disclaimer; I hold no responsibility for any damages that may occur from the making and use of the harness/adaptor. You can choose to make and use the harness/adaptor at your own risk.

Note, the Black/White wire on the three pin connector and the four pin connector are soldered together in the middle, and then separate and lead to slot 4 and slot 5 on the ODBII connector. Therefore 2 wires can be used to go into pin 2 on the four pin connector. No need to solder the 2 Black/White wires since we are not using the 3 pin connector.

The five wires that are needed on the OBD2 connector is inserted in the following slots of the harness:

Slot 4 - Black/white wire
(to pin 2)

Slot 5 - Black/White wire
(to pin 2)

Slot 6 - Blue/Red wire
(to pin 3)

Slot 14 - Blue/Black wire
(to pin 4)

Slot 16 - Red wire
(to pin 1)

The five wires from the ODB2 go to the corresponding pins on the Yamaha connector harness:
Looking at the pins in the harness with the clip notch at the top.

Pin 1 Bottom Right - Red wire
(to slot 16 - ODBII)

Pin 2 Bottom Left - Black/White wire
(to slots 4&5 - OBDII)

Pin 3 Top Right - Blue/Red wire
(to slot 6 - ODBII)

Pin 4 Top Left - Blue/Black
(to slot 14 - ODBII)

*Liability Disclaimer; I hold no responsibility for any damages that may occur from the making and use of the harness/adaptor. You can choose to make and use the harness/adaptor at your own risk.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
If emissions were the reason they eliminated "simple diagnostic" mode altogether, they could've simply stripped out the functions that allow for code reset. There's no reason to prevent the display of code, display of sensor data, strip out the ability to actuate relays, spark. That makes no sense.

This is likely just Yamaha assimilating to what has been the industry standard - sell expensive books, tools and adapters to bleed you dry on the post-sale support end. Other manufacturers from Apple to Mercedes have been reaping massive profits from that approach to business for quite a long time. Why not join them? It's no longer good enough to just sell parts, certification material and certifications.

This move will affect my buying decisions for the future. The unfortunate thing is they'll ALL be doing this. As systems become more numerous, and the numerous become more complex, having a built-in "simple diagnostic" should be a given. Giving the owner individual control to read a code, switch a relay, fire off a spark plug, read a sensor is just common sense. We shouldn't have to spend an additional $600 or even $20 to accomplish that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
if you plan on getting the ecu flashed they can turn off the cel for the exup motor. (will never come on again)
be 100% sure you clear all cel codes before you send it off to be flashed.

a lot of guys send their ecu to superbike unlimited.
I bought the flash kit to do it myself. which enables me to change the maps etc too. eliminating the need for a power commander etc.

I'm a little upset at the newer bikes going to this OBDII crap. yamaha is not even making a YEC race ecu for the 2017 R6.
Is it hard to Flash ECU yourself? I've done the PCV for a full yoshi and air filter.
So many things to learn since i just joined in on here after owning for 9 months

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
If emissions were the reason they eliminated "simple diagnostic" mode altogether, they could've simply stripped out the functions that allow for code reset. There's no reason to prevent the display of code, display of sensor data, strip out the ability to actuate relays, spark. That makes no sense.

This is likely just Yamaha assimilating to what has been the industry standard - sell expensive books, tools and adapters to bleed you dry on the post-sale support end. Other manufacturers from Apple to Mercedes have been reaping massive profits from that approach to business for quite a long time. Why not join them? It's no longer good enough to just sell parts, certification material and certifications.

This move will affect my buying decisions for the future. The unfortunate thing is they'll ALL be doing this. As systems become more numerous, and the numerous become more complex, having a built-in "simple diagnostic" should be a given. Giving the owner individual control to read a code, switch a relay, fire off a spark plug, read a sensor is just common sense. We shouldn't have to spend an additional $600 or even $20 to accomplish that.
Its not yamaha. Europe has mandated obd2 diagnostics be in motorcycles. They sell more bikes in europe than usa. So our bikes will be the same as it would cost too much to do 2 systems.
It sucks for the average owner but its actually better for a dealer tech as the system is better to use for diagnostics.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts