Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up everyone 😊. I have a 2017 r6 that I've owned for bout a year and a half now.. bought the bike with only 1000 miles on it. I'm now at 11.3k miles. Yesterday I took the bike out for the first time in a few weeks (new baby at home not much time for riding lately) on my way home from the ride I noticed a almost rattling sound when I hit 10.5k rpm. I have never noticed this before and it's a clear sound. If I go up to 11k rpm the sound goes away and anything below 10.5 it's not there. I checked 2 see if it was happening in other gears as I was on the way home when I noticed it and doesn't matter what gear it's in at 10.5 same noise. I'm wondering if anyone has had anything like this and if it's something I should worry bout.. buddy of mine told me the r6 has a auto cam chain tensioner that goes off of the oil pressure and that I should install a manual one and that will probably fix my issue.. any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance ☺

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi there,

Can you post a video so we can hear it?

Was anything done to the bike ?? changed exhaust ? frame sliders? anything really?

It can be the CTT, but it should be more noticable (noise) at iddle i belive, then moving actually.. my bike is 11year old, and still has the OEM CTT (never changed)

The r6 is known for infamous "yamaha-tick" , are you sure that is not your problem ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll see bout a video when I get home this afternoon... its definitely not the Yamaha tick I know that sound.. and yea the bike has been flashed and full akro exhaust. But it's been like that since I bought it the sound is new.... would low oil pressure cause it ???

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi there,

Please do the video then, may be easier for some1 to help.

I dont think low oil pressure can cause that, and the bike does have an oil level sensor (or pressure ; i belive it´s level), that would go ON , if the oil is level/pressure is low.

I asked that bc it could be something lose (exhaust header .. engine mount, etc..) but since no work has been done to the bike previous to this, i would take that out..

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,477 Posts
The cam tensioner is spring loaded one way ratcheting, not hydraulic.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,477 Posts
If it is the tentioner, then you would hear the rattle from idle and it would increase with rpm. Also, mine has almost 29k without a hint of trouble. We can't diagnose a sound only based on a description that may not be describing only one possible source. It could be as simple as one of the fairing to radiator clips is missing. That caused a rattle at certain rpms until I changed my oil and realized I never put that phillips clip back in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts