Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Just bought the new R6 last weekend. Didn't closely inspect the tires when I took delivery. I noticed they were Dunlop's and when I was watching how to videos on exup cable removal I noticed the bike they were working on had bridgestones. I started researching and found a press release from Bridgestone saying their new S21 Battleaxe tire would be OEM for the 2017 R6. My bike came with the Dunlop Sportmax D214's. Which are now out of production and can not be found on Dunlop's website. Can the guys that have bought the new R6 let me know if they also got these D214's or if they got the Q3's or S21's. I called Yamaha and they said the bike comes with either Dunlop or Bridgestone. But they didn't know specifically which tire. Thanks

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
609 Posts
Let me shed light on my comment. I've had 3 sets of Michelins. 2 sets street 1 set slicks.
Of the street sets, 1 cause tank slappers during braking the other developed a bubble on the side wall. Both were replaced before 1000 miles. The slicks I just never felt comfortable on.

But you may be correct..I wouldn't know and avon from a continental

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Let me shed light on my comment. I've had 3 sets of Michelins. 2 sets street 1 set slicks.
Of the street sets, 1 cause tank slappers during braking the other developed a bubble on the side wall. Both were replaced before 1000 miles. The slicks I just never felt comfortable on.
But you may be correct..I wouldn't know and avon from a continental
thats what Im saying. Not discounting your issues/experience but if you were to get on a bike and ride it, without the knowledge of what brand tire was on the wheels... the perspective is totally different. Could you be more objective judging them just on their performance merits vs personal prejudice? Its kind of hard to do. :wink:

Myself...I have a more favorable opinion of Michelin & Dunlop. :nerd:

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
609 Posts
I do agree with you. Many people love and trust them, My experience was more a monetary loss.
I never wanted to be one of those guys(I don't like what you like)
But yes, If someone put Michelins on my bike in a blind taste test...I might like them as far as performance goes

·
1up,5down
129 Posts
The michelins always made the front end feel numb. I tried several different tire pressures and still the same outcome. I figure it to be the softer sidewall. Maybe after a full day of tweaking the front end i could get some more feedback but i already prefer the suspension a little stiffer to get that feedback. The dunlops always gave me great front end feedback due to the stiffer sidewall... If you take both tires and stood them side by side you can collapse the michelin all the way to the ground with one hand and you can put all your weight with both hands on the dunlop and barely wrinkle the top of the tire... personal preference i guess but if you randomly put a michelin on my bike i would instantly notice after the first corner turn in...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine came with the S21's.

Admittedly my last bike was more top heavy (Honda CBR650F), but I feel more confident on the S21's than the Pirelli Angel ST's I was using on that bike.

·
Reads the rulez
2,254 Posts
Im willing to bet $500 that neither of you guys would know which brand tires were on a bike from a riding perspective.
I laughed way too hard at this...

Funny cuz its true

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yamaha had the dealer put S21's on. And Yamaha ate the cost. Even though it says in the manual s21 or D214's. Big credit to Yamaha.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine came with q3's and I'm not a big fan but my front developed a leak in the bead after about 500 miles of riding, switches the front to the S21 and LOVE IT. I rode home in the rain with a brand new front and had more feel in the rain then I ever had in dry conditions with my q3. I'll be swapping the rear once it wears.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think the 18's came with Q4's, I haven't had any experience with those but my only real complaint on the q3's is poor feeback. They never really lost traction but they felt numb

·
Registered
271 Posts
Im willing to bet $500 that neither of you guys would know which brand tires were on a bike from a riding perspective.
Some brands.. their tire numbers are incorrect. I think Michelin is very accurate. Some give less width and the ride feel is different especially in the wet.

My Road 5s.. 137 on speedo but GPS says 140.5.

Some people say the speedo reads higher but all the speed signs are incorrect. I've driven through 3 within 1 mile w/ cruise control and same road angle, everything and they all read different numbers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts