Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2017 YZF-R6
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I’m not the most mechanically inclined but have learned some through simply owning and working on my own bike. I currently have a 2017 R6, first of the new remodel, but having some problems with my revs being off. Here’s the situation:
Got a new mid pipe so that I could cut my CAT out for a better sound and some weight reduction. Did this myself with a friend and everything went smoothly (mid pipe is connected to my slip on exhaust, shorty carbon fiber M4 street slayer). Upon completing this, I started the bike up and my engine light was on (wasn't on before). Rode it around a bit and nothing felt off at all.
Fast forward about 3 months and I decided to get a QS (quick shifter) for the bike as the 2017 model can fit one (still have had no rev problems). I bought the QS strait from the official Yamaha website, and I’m positive I got the right one. Me and my buddy again worked and put it on no problem. Again not noticing anything wrong with the bike.
I take it out on a ride that night and everything was good until me and some friends decided to do a couple pulls. From 2nd gear we would take off but in every single gear, once I reach 12k RPM’s, the power of the bike stops and the revs just continue to scream with no power going to the rear wheel. But once I shift gears and go underneath 12k RPM’s, the power to the back wheel comes back and it’s like nothing ever happened.
So this is where I ask everyone else if they have any insight or heard about anything like this before. I think the problem may be that I don’t have enough air flow through the exhaust and the O2 sensor may be tripped or something? Again I’m not really sure, any help would be very much appreciated and thanks for taking the time to read, I know it’s kind of a long post.

·
Fat + S = Fast
1,382 Posts
I'm not an expert on the subject but what I've read about the Yammie QS on here and elsewhere has given me the impression they're hard to get working right.
That said I think the bigger concern is that you ignored a CEL for 3 months. It may not solve your rev problem but at least if you get that sorted you can rule it out as a contributing factor.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
550 Posts
Sounds like the exup valve or oxygen sensor code. I have my wideband activetune sensor and the stock yami code flagged the o2 sensor and whilest I was riding at any constant rpm for a few seconds it would stutter and come back. Overal ran poor until stock o2 was back then ran ok with my m4 muffler delete but wasn't perfect tune by any means.

As to QS.. it was a bear to activate. Tried all the tricks in the thread here. Finally turned on. Never figured out the trick for always perfect shifts. Sometimes clunky jerkey shifts. It seemed to like hard and fast with authority shifts and rapid rate through the gears.

·
Registered
2017 YZF-R6
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like the exup valve or oxygen sensor code. I have my wideband activetune sensor and the stock yami code flagged the o2 sensor and whilest I was riding at any constant rpm for a few seconds it would stutter and come back. Overal ran poor until stock o2 was back then ran ok with my m4 muffler delete but wasn't perfect tune by any means.

As to QS.. it was a bear to activate. Tried all the tricks in the thread here. Finally turned on. Never figured out the trick for always perfect shifts. Sometimes clunky jerkey shifts. It seemed to like hard and fast with authority shifts and rapid rate through the gears.

Thanks for the info, I also think that my O2 sensor may not be picking up or reading correctly. My QS shifts were also jerky when I installed it too. Going fast and using it was much easier on the bike rather than going slower and using it. Definitely going to look into it some more, once again, thanks.

·
Registered
2017 YZF-R6
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not an expert on the subject but what I've read about the Yammie QS on here and elsewhere has given me the impression they're hard to get working right.
That said I think the bigger concern is that you ignored a CEL for 3 months. It may not solve your rev problem but at least if you get that sorted you can rule it out as a contributing factor.
Would you mind elaborating on what a CEL is? Again I don’t know everything about bikes and still learning here and there. Thanks for the insight though.

·
Fat + S = Fast
1,382 Posts
Check Engine Light. If it's an Exup code it probably isn't doing anything but if it's O2 sensor it probably is the root of your problem.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
550 Posts
I have a brand new 100 miles on it o2 sensor you can have.. if your in the US it would cost a few bucks to mail.

·
Registered
2017 YZF-R6
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a brand new 100 miles on it o2 sensor you can have.. if your in the US it would cost a few bucks to mail.
That would be awesome, I could give you some info if you wanna try and contact that way, and we can discuss some more about it there

1 - 9 of 9 Posts