Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!

I recently put on a full akrapovic and high flow K&N race filter. For my tune I went with FTECU’s autotune. Acceleration and deceleration work great with the quickshifter and autoblip. Unfortunately though, when I keep my throttle steady and cruise sometimes the bike will sound like it engine brakes, drops around 500-1000 rpm, then shoots all the power at once back to where it was before. It is almost as if it can’t decide if it wants to engine brake or not. This is pretty scary as it also happened as I was mid-corner. Does anyone know why this might be happening? Is it throttle issues? Is the tune messed up? Do I need to contact FTECU? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello All!

I recently put on a full akrapovic and high flow K&N race filter. For my tune I went with FTECU’s autotune. Acceleration and deceleration work great with the quickshifter and autoblip. Unfortunately though, when I keep my throttle steady and cruise sometimes the bike will sound like it engine brakes, drops around 500-1000 rpm, then shoots all the power at once back to where it was before. It is almost as if it can’t decide if it wants to engine brake or not. This is pretty scary as it also happened as I was mid-corner. Does anyone know why this might be happening? Is it throttle issues? Is the tune messed up? Do I need to contact FTECU? What do you guys think?
I would reach out to FTECU and/or the tuner you bought it from. Alternatively could it be spark plugs need replacing? Unsure how many miles you’ve got on it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would reach out to FTECU and/or the tuner you bought it from. Alternatively could it be spark plugs need replacing? Unsure how many miles you’ve got on it.
reached out to ECU they recommended a fuel map for me and said if it persists then they will figure something out. 3700 miles

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd look at the tps if the flash doesn't get it.
ok i’m thinking it might be, while under the tank we were moving a lot of things around. do you think it’s loose or going bad? my friend is almost convinced it’s a throttle problem, but i’m almost convinced it’s a tune/fuel map problem

·
Registered
219 Posts
Is the factory paint mark still lined up? Have you checked it with the procedure outlined in the service manual?

It could be the tune, I mean, that's possible, but I'd definitely check the tps first.

Is it over heating or anything?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is the factory paint mark still lined up? Have you checked it with the procedure outlined in the service manual?

It could be the tune, I mean, that's possible, but I'd definitely check the tps first.

Is it over heating or anything?
i’m gonna have to lift the tank and see and not i have not checked with the manual procedure. it is also not over heating or doing anything else weird.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Then I'm betting the tune is o-k. If it was overheating and stuff I'd think that would point to a bad tune.

Check out your tps bud. The procedure will be in the service manual.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,511 Posts
I put a throttle tube off of a zx6r to reduce the 1/6th turn I had. That helped a bunch before I put the unrestricted map on and ran it a bunch of times to the afr table I wanted. Perhaps autotune is trying to adjust from the stock unrestricted map every ride. Vs flashing the autotuned fuel areas to the map.

·
Registered
43 Posts
So this is actually common problem with autotunes not FT specifically but the way autotunes work. Because if your accelerating then air moves and runs slightly lean so it responds by adding fuel. When you level off to steady it takes a second to stop adding so then reads it as over rich fuel so it cuts. If too much is cut it then adds again creating that jump.

Autotunes are great in theory but without wideband sensor support or two if you have a cat then in practice it doesn’t work as smoothly

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,511 Posts
Only yami used a narrow band dude sensor.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Still has the problem of its delayed reaction so it’s constantly changing the AFR which may or may not suit the current conditions till it levels out

·
Registered
43 Posts
True but highly unlikely on a 2020 bike with 3k on the clock.
Im just not a fan of auto tune at all because of its nature. Its constantly changing the AFR mix. But if the conditions are changing then its pretty much always gonna be a step behind.
This i is why i like straight dyno tunes. It never get the “perfect” AFR that an auto tune will eventually achieve but it covers all the bases and will eliminate any drastic jumps/drops in favor of steady throttle and ratios

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
The AEM AFR gauge I have uses the same Bosch 4.9 LSU sensor and can see the near 1 second delay when I shift. If your theory that this delay is affecting FTECU auto-tune is correct, there are methods of calculating that delay; perhaps monitoring the TPS for example.

https://www.aemelectronics.com/prod...ego-afr-gauge/digital-wideband-uego-afr-gauge

https://ftecu.com/shop/yamaha-active-tune-kit/

EDIT 21y01m16d13h43m:
https://www.yourmechanic.com/articl...-sensor-circuit-slow-response-bank-1-sensor-2

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,511 Posts
Obd2 cars with a basic narrow band respond in milliseconds, and switch faster then a scan tool can refresh.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts