Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 r6 and the owners manual calls for 10w-30 in colder temps, and 20w-40 in warmer temps. The warm weather is now upon us in Ontario Canada, and i'm due for an oil chance but i'm finding it rather difficult to find 20w-40 motorcycle oil. And when I do a general search, it seems like everyone is just using 10w-40 instead or anything other than the called for 20w-40. Am i missing something? Was there a revision update to the manual that calls for a different oil? Any help is appreciated.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,253 Posts
20w-40 is always hard to find. I’ve always used 10w-40. No issues.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
20w-50 full synthetic works as well. The second number just means it doesn't thin-out as much at higher temps. Lower on the first number for better cold start protection. Your ears work quite well for helping determine whether an oil is too thick or too thin. You may hear more/less valve train noise on one or the other end of the spectrum. During cold weather, I get a much slower crank on 20w versus 10w. In the low 20s Fahrenheit, it can be the difference between a start and no-start because the ECU needs at least 10v to work.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,318 Posts
I like rotella 5w-40 t6. From 19f to 115f ambient temps for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts