Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

I just wanted to recap my race season with you guys....
back story is that after three trackdays I decided to get my race licenese lol. Did new racer school, jumped from beginner group straight into race group and it was a shock. First race I low sided in practice and damaged my bike. However, I was able to finish race weekend 4th to last so wasn't too bad.

After my first race (march 2012), my friend showed me a 250 for sale. I always wanted to ride a 250 after seeing how much fun the class was having out there....that and amateur supersport middleweight had a bad wreck EVERY single race...I really wanted to buy a 250 but could not afford. But my racing buddy went out of his way and brought it for me and just had me pay him back monthly.

First race on the 250 (april). I could only do one race because I had work on sat. First time on the 250 was interesting, there's no power lol. The straights took forever, however I felt super comfortable on the bike. Very easy to ride, almost felt like a toy. First time out on the 250 I did decent for never having rode one. After two more races on the 250 I was FINALLY able to drop 10 seconds off my personal best on my R6, this happened two weekends ago. I had some slicks mounted to the 250 and something just clicked. I was able to carry way more corner speed than before and felt super comfortable doing it.

I didn't think the 250 would help this much but after riding the 250 for about 3 races, I have dropped over 10 seconds on my time and continue dropping 5 seconds each race. I plan to jump back on my r6 after the season is over and see how much the 250 helped.

If you have the chance to buy or ride a 250 on the track....do it. Probably the most funnest bike I have ever ridden. Oh btw mine will be up for sale next year lol ;)

Progress pics
on the r6....horrible bp

250...getting better

·
Premium Member
35,477 Posts
Sweet!!! My friends and I are started a mini-endurance team as well and using one of my friend's CBR 250R. SUPER stoked :nocontrol

·
The Decal Guy
1,650 Posts
I've heard from numerous people that jumping on a 250 teaches a lot about corner speed. Also not the first time I've heard that it drops 10+ seconds when you get back to the 600...

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sweet!!! My friends and I are started a mini-endurance team as well and using one of my friend's CBR 250R. SUPER stoked :nocontrol
The CBR 250 is suppose to be a lil slower on power I think....enjoy it. So much fun, all my friends that rode a 250 ended up buying one.

I've heard from numerous people that jumping on a 250 teaches a lot about corner speed. Also not the first time I've heard that it drops 10+ seconds when you get back to the 600...
The corner speed on a 250/600/1000 are almost identical....riding the 250 has helped me so much. I would recommend anyone that has the chance to get one...to get one. It will teach you how to be faster.

·
Y(o_o)Y
1,365 Posts
Amazing progress, especially to be able to have it transition over to the 600! I've been toying with the idea of picking up a 250 for the track...looks like you might have just sold me my friend :cheers

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Hey dude! Haven't seen you post in awhile and was recently wondering how the racing was going. Thinking about getting a Ninja 300 for the girlfriend to learn on as soon as they start showing up used. It might have to see some track days too.

Ugh, I know someone selling a 250 race bike too. And I want to get a dirt bike ... I need to upgrade my garage.

You going to be out at Chuck November 9th?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Amazing progress, especially to be able to have it transition over to the 600! I've been toying with the idea of picking up a 250 for the track...looks like you might have just sold me my friend :cheers
Do it!! Won't regret it at all....and they crash way better than the R6 haha

Hey dude! Haven't seen you post in awhile and was recently wondering how the racing was going. Thinking about getting a Ninja 300 for the girlfriend to learn on as soon as they start showing up used. It might have to see some track days too.

Ugh, I know someone selling a 250 race bike too. And I want to get a dirt bike ... I need to upgrade my garage.

You going to be out at Chuck November 9th?
Racing been going good. Haven't raced my r6 after my first race. Just been trying to get faster on the 250, trying to get under 2:10 before I start racing the r6 again.

The ninja 300 looks like an awesome bike, lil bit more pep and fi FTW!!! I wouldn't mind picking one up except the price tag is too damn much lol.

I'll be out there finishing up the year for cvma, probably end up doing the trackday or racers prac as well. Are you coming out? And buy the 250 race bike lol, so much fun!

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Do it!! Won't regret it at all....and they crash way better than the R6 haha

Racing been going good. Haven't raced my r6 after my first race. Just been trying to get faster on the 250, trying to get under 2:10 before I start racing the r6 again.

The ninja 300 looks like an awesome bike, lil bit more pep and fi FTW!!! I wouldn't mind picking one up except the price tag is too damn much lol.

I'll be out there finishing up the year for cvma, probably end up doing the trackday or racers prac as well. Are you coming out? And buy the 250 race bike lol, so much fun!
Yeah, I should be out there the 9th. My buddy is going to run his TZ-250 for the first time. He's like 6'6". It should be kind of hilarious.

And yeah on the price tag ... hence waiting until they hit the used market. I bought my R1 new, and I'm pretty sure it'll be the last time I buy a vehicle new off the showroom floor unless I suddenly become mega-rich.

·
Pobrecitos
19,910 Posts
Yeah, I should be out there the 9th. My buddy is going to run his TZ-250 for the first time. He's like 6'6". It should be kind of hilarious.

And yeah on the price tag ... hence waiting until they hit the used market. I bought my R1 new, and I'm pretty sure it'll be the last time I buy a vehicle new off the showroom floor unless I suddenly become mega-rich.
:werd

Feel the same after the S, compared to what I paid for a used "r".

·
Track Junkie
188 Posts
Get the fuuuuuck outta here with this 250 nonsense.... this is an R6 forum...

Keep your drama on SOCALMOTO!!

LOLOLOLOL

·
Parts Pimp
26,455 Posts
What's all done to the 250? Does it have adjustable front suspension and shock? What type, etc? What about the brakes? More info needed!!

And good call on the 250 move. I remember you posting all that! That pic of you on the R6 looks like it may have been right before your low side. :eek5 You're lookin like a pro on that 250 bro!!! :YEA :burnout

Bro, that bike looks SICK with the new GP system Leo makes for it. I am not bullshitting. They make it for either the 250 and it looks like a racefit. It's siiiick, I want pics of the 250!!

LOLOLOLOL
:bowroll:

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What's all done to the 250? Does it have adjustable front suspension and shock? What type, etc? What about the brakes? More info needed!!

And good call on the 250 move. I remember you posting all that! That pic of you on the R6 looks like it may have been right before your low side. :eek5 You're lookin like a pro on that 250 bro!!! :YEA :burnout

Bro, that bike looks SICK with the new GP system Leo makes for it. I am not bullshitting. They make it for either the 250 and it looks like a racefit. It's siiiick, I want pics of the 250!!

:bowroll:
Front suspension is race tech emulators, rear is penske....brakes I believe is galfer lines with versah pad. The pad was only 30 bucks too lol.

I have some moto3 bridgestones slicks on right now.... 90 front and 120 rear. Turn in is mad cray!

LOLOLOLOL
Bahaha I wasn't involved in that whole mess lol. Protest me I no care haha.

Nice! Weather should be perfect in november...not like last month when it was 115.

The new 300 are way legit....I just wish they were cheaper. But the market gonna keep the price way up for awhile.

·
Dangerously Irish
9,552 Posts
Wish I got to snag my ex's 250 :laugh

1 - 20 of 22 Posts