Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2nd Gen Air Fuel Ratio Gauge Install

Many years ago when I was looking to purchasee, was adamant about avoiding any carburetted bikes because I wanted to maximize seat time over tuning and tweaking. Little did I know at the time that the engine control technology in the bike was just a step above carbs. It doesn't have an oxygen sensor in the exhaust. So it has no ability to self-tune on the go. No knock sensor to back-off timing.

Taking it to a tuner seems like it'll be a regular affair at this point; more especially with all-season riding.

Anyone installed one to their 2nd Gen? What did you use? Any recommeendations?

This should provide me with the data needed to help compensate for the absence of an oxygen sensor.

Already have a relayed SAE terminal installed.

Splitter bought.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It is a whole different animal to try and weld titanium. For multiple reasons (like insulation) the slip-on is out; bung cannot be mounted on that.

There is a narrow section just behind the right-side rear-set where I can fit the Oxygen sensor, and it not be in the way of rear suspension travel.

Question is, is the header pipe on the 2008 R6S titanium? Just want to confirm that it isn't.

Thanks.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,477 Posts
Magnetic? Means mild steel. My stock headers are mild. Titanium and 300 stainless are NOT magnetic and are silver/purple/blue shades. Also wide band lamda will most likely be M18x1.5 thread. A stainless bung can be welded to mild steel if you get one. Just don't expect it to not rust at the weld zone eventually. ER309 would be a great filler for stainless bung to mild steel tube.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,477 Posts
Does yours have the huge muffler cat box under oil pan?

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick reply and good info @mordantly. Used a weak magnet (I have HDD magnets if needed) and no, it will stick neither to the titanium slip-on or the stainless steel exhaust.

The underside has no resonator. All it is is just a 4-2-1 header pipe... all emissions control is in the slip-on. So it's the resonator, cat and muffler all combined.
I just snatched a generic photo off the net and it looks like this...

That section on the end comes out just below the rearset. That's where I'll be mounting the bung and sensor.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,477 Posts
I have a m4 cat delete that looks like it would fit.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welder indicated should just be able to drill a hole and weld it in there; would be done rather quickly. I'll ask'em about the ER309 or ER309L He said it was stainless but isn't familiar with Japanese bikes and just wanted confirmation that it wasn't titanium like the OEM slip-on. Guy looks like he's seen more welds than we've seen minutes and wasn't concerned about pricing. (so doing for an off-the-books "tip" esesentially)

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,477 Posts
I'm surprised your header is stainless.. pretty lucky. ER308 or ER309 will be the ticket.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,411 Posts
The OEM header is stainless. And the only thing that is titanium on the original muffler was the outer cover. The internals are all stainless, catalyst, and end caps are aluminum. Nothing made out of Ti would weigh as much as that thing!

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks and thanks. Trying to keep the pipes on the bike. Been driven through the Winters. The fasteners and ringlets are pretty badly corroded. Guess I should order replacement parts now in case I ever do need to take it off.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,477 Posts
My gaskets didn't seal the head reusing them one time. Plan on new ones if it comes off.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I don't expect to be able to reuse anything up there. Salt brine pretty damned efficient at ruining stuff. The motorcycle being nearly all aluminum and plastic is another reason why I prefer that over the car, for most of the Winter.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gauge Supply Average Current 1.3A.
Sensor Heater Current 1.2A @ 12v per sensor.
Manufacturer recommends a 10A fuse.
I already had a 5A fuse installed for the relay.
I'm leaving that 5A installed until it blows. Then I'll consider a 7A.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,477 Posts
Can it run dual inputs? Nice map screen you have there.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Supports logging; dunno whether it supports two sensors.
Old Garmin mounted to center post.

EDIT 21y07m23d: I don't think it does support two sensors.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sensor mounted. Been riding the day look'n at readings.
Way lean at idle and low-RPM on cold and warm engine.
Suspect much of this could be related to being part-throttle, but the amount of lean-ness seems to lessen once the engine is operating above thermostat open temp. Based on what I read, it should read slightly rich at idle. But it seems it has that sswweeeett throaty rumble when it's idling lean. It'd be really interesting to know how other R6s read. Maybe take it to an expert tuner to set it where it should be...

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Also of interest, if I simulate having an EXUP, which is for 3rd-Gen, not 2nd-Gen, the readings do go slightly rich. I wonder if the EXUP was meant to prolong the life of the O² sensor, in addition to helping with low-end torque? Memory serving, my manual for the gauge says that prolonged lean reduces the life of the sensor.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,477 Posts
What ratios have you been seeing?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts