Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Damned if you do or don't
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Call it misfortune or arseholes just plain out to get me. Last 3 times I've taken my bike out, which is to work or back from work on a good day I've been brushed with some cager love.

Day 1, coming back from work, 25 mph zone going 30ish, road bends to the left or Y's to the right (I have right of way). This is in a village, saw a truck on the right wanting to take a left which means come across my lane. He looks directly at me, and decides last second to pull out. I jam the brakes, pull in clutch, pop it in neutral and violently with my left hand wave the old geezer to get the bleep outa there.

Day 2, going to work, 40mph zone, going 48-50. Kept the same distance between myself and the car ahead, around 20ft or so. Car on the left across the street waiting to pull into our lane heading our direction. Sure enough when the car ahead goes by, he pulls on out. I honk the horn, he screetches stopping in the oncoming lane as I go by shaking my head.

Day 3, now this is the most aggitated I've ever been in all my years driving, meaning cars or bike. I come from a racing background so I'm aggressive in traffic, but not an ass, and you learn to be patient in racing as I am in traffic. I'll treat people like I want to be treated. Behind a car, for the last 5 miles, so he KNOWS I'm there. Lane opens up near the stop signal to 4 lane. He goes left to turn left, I go right to turn right. About 1/8th a mile down he brakes and violently swerves across my lane over into a parking lot. I grab the front brakes, rear end fish tails to the left and I let the brakes off gently to allow it to keep rolling before I high sided it and stopped it upright with less than a foot to his rear bumper, honk, gave my international gesture :321, and revved the shit outa my bike outa there.

Lesson, ALWAYS be proactive ready to act BEFORE they do. I swear if it wasn't for all my years growing up to now with bicycles off road, ATV, snowmobile, racing, and taking the MSF course I doubt I would of had the instincts to react the way I did and likely would of high sided just panicking because at moments like Day 3, you have no time to think, you just react.

3 Lives and counting, lets see if I can beat 9 lives you fooking car tards :rocket

·
My R6 shoots tequila
1,487 Posts
Riding in traffic is always a little scary. Cars are always oblivious and not paying attention, so you have you pay double attention. There is a time and place for riding aggressively and traffice is not one of them. Ride smarter bro and be passive.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
It continues to amaze me at how many people will signal one direction almost come to a stop to make the turn and then realize that where they want to go is just a little further down the road in the OPPOSITE direction.

I mean I've never been going ANYWHERE where I was like "hey, here comes my turn on the right...... nope that's not it....... oh yeah it's up here on the left".

Seriously, most the people on the road should not have their license. I saw a lady reading a frickin book while she was driving during rush hour with a 20 car length gap in front of her

·
I eat gixxer's
520 Posts
Seriously, most the people on the road should not have their license. I saw a lady reading a frickin book while she was driving during rush hour with a 20 car length gap in front of her
I throw pennies at people like that when I drive my truck...

·
Damned if you do or don't
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Riding in traffic is always a little scary. Cars are always oblivious and not paying attention, so you have you pay double attention. There is a time and place for riding aggressively and traffice is not one of them. Ride smarter bro and be passive.
This had nothing to do with my methods of riding smart as I already am cautious more than 99% of riders. The aggressive note was just a general comment speaking of when up to speed more of highway use. When in single lane traffic, can't be aggressive anyhow.

Point was you can be cautious as you want, traps still waiting to snare you. I do recall reading on someone who talked about giving plenty of room from the car ahead, and still got nailed from behind at a light. Need an aerial 360 view with some of these terds out there

·
r6less
33 Posts
I agree, beltline in madison wisconsin(which is three lanes wide) every morning i see people doing 10mph less than the speed of traffic in the LEFT LANE...GTFO of the way...

Something i will never forget was the time i saw some chick maybe 17yo or so was talking on one cell phone holding it to her head with her left shoulder, texting on another cell phone with her left hand and putting on mascara(or however you spell it) with her right hand and was RIGHT on the guys rear end in front of her...if he would have even let off the gas for a second she would have hit him...idiots

To the OP: Glad you kept the shiney side up man! Great reactions!

·
$4 a gal. 4 gal. a shot
933 Posts
Yup, had a girl try to change lanes into me last night, and a guy make an illegal right on red into me this morning. Ride like you are invisable, what for everyone. The one this morning had me pissed and it has been a while since I actually got pissed off to the point it effected my riding in a long time. Drivers in this country are distracted and dumber than the tires on there vehicles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts