Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i just purchased a 2001 R6 from a private seller and its restricted to 33BHP does anyone know where the Restrictors are located so I can have a go at removing them myself?... anything will be appreciated :mrgreen: Thanks

·
Registered
537 Posts
Ok first off why woudl you do such a thing? Buy a moped if thats what your gonna do to a bike (I know he did it not you it was directed at the previous owner). I would call him up and ask what steps were taken to restrict the bike, and reverse it. Or take it to the dealer and ask them to go through it and make a list of what isnt right on it and fix it yourself.

BE4TNUT

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Silly Restrictor

Yeah i guess its to the Bike shop. I asked if he knew where the restrictors were and he said no. just thourght i could save some time and money and do it myself. wouldnt want to bust it or anything. bike shop knows best! thanks for the Quick reply was much appreciated! silly kid get a scooter! nice touch i agree with you :mrgreen:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Yeah hopefully there should be some more replies up here soon on this, when you run the bike does it pull the tach up to 15000? Im wondering if there are restrictions on the ECU maybe? Other than that the only thing i can think of that would restrict power like that might be restricting air/fuel. Wish i could help you out a bit more, did he place the restrictions on the bike or did he bring it somewhere and have a shop do it? You got pics of the bike? Wondering if theres anything we can see that doesnt belong there...

BE4TNUT

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm

The bike basically is slow all round, never makes it past 160kmh. acceleration is slow compared to my friends R6, he flies past. he took it to his local dealer to get it restricted. nah i dont have any pics of it just yet need to get the camera back from repair. i think you could be right about the air/fuel bit it just seems not to have enough of what it needs. will wait for other replies if there are any. the Revs seem to build up slowly aswell seems to be starved of something. once it reaches top end (160kmh) the rev counter doesnt increase further it just seems to hit a point and sit there. Thanks all

Joelhope

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
That situation sounds very odd and senseless. What country are you from?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
R6

Im from the UK, thourght id say the speed in Kmh as i think the sites American. i agree with you, not had the bike long and its making me mad.

·
Registered
110 Posts
You sure the engine is not just half dead and the seller told you he restricted it to get good price?? I just can't see why someone would restrict the power.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why...

The reason why its currently restricted is that the previous owner had passed his test at the age of 17 and in the UK its a legal requirement to have a motorbike that is either made under 33BHP or restricted to 33BHP this Restriction is for a period of 2 years after those 2 years have passed he has a full licence with no restrictions as to what he can ride. sorry if you already knew... the engine better not be half dead :( thanks for the replies :mrgreen:

Joelhope

·
Registered
283 Posts
i read somthing on this before ,.. in england there bikes are restricted ,..i think it had omthing to do with realy small v-stacks ...

aslo remember the dealer removing them and everything was fine !!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I was in germany for several years, the reason that the bikes are restricted is people will go out and buy an R6, but in order to get your license over there you have to start on a low, low hp bike ride it for a while then take another test and they let you go up to more HP it ussually takes several years to get your unlimeted license so you can run whatever hp you want.

Know back to the question i got a bike over in germany that had been reduced, a lot of times it's the carbs are just jetted differently to restrict the fuel flow and if you restrict the carbs flow it will greatly reduce your HP i was told by a german mech. and he said that is what most people do cause it makes it easier to increase and decrease hp with the jets and no change anything else

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks

ive taken the R6 down to the bike shop and they said that it was jetted differently! thanks alot guys you were a great help it was all about reducing the fuel and air flow or something along those lines thanks again :mrgreen: The bikes a beast i just love R6s :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey joel
My mate is getting his sv650 restricted for his test (we live in Ireland) and they are doing something with the carbs, but the shop told us sometimes they put a restrictior in the exhaust (worth checking coz its really easy to remove yourself, i have been driving my r6 for 1.5 years unrestricted, if im ever stopped by da plod i just tell em its restricted and they dont ask for restriction papers :mrgreen: ,
only 3 more moths to swing it :jump
best of luck with the new bike

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cool

nice one just dont get caught doing silly speeds on ur "restricted R6" haha otherwise they might get a bit suspicious! anyway enough of the serious talk go ride :jump

·
Registered
14 Posts
you guys across the pond sure have some silly regulations (not like we don't) ;)

So since there's no standard way to restrict the bike, how does your licensing agency know what the HP output is? Do they actually put the bike on a dyno as part of your test?

And how do they know if it's restricted or not once you're out on the road? Doesn't sound very enforcible to me. At all.

Hell - with a FI bike, all you'd have to do is make up a 'restricted' map that kept the bike running like shit, and then swap it out with your good map whenever. With something like an EMS, where you could do it on the fly... ;) Or just pop something inline like a rev limiter that you control... cuts spark occassionally when acting like a 'restrictor', then with a flip of a switch - doesn't do diddly.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
stupid rules UK

yeah i know what you mean how can police on the road check if the bike is still restricted or not, without dyno testing it im unsure how they would do it. the only obvious way would be if a restricted bike was caught doing speeds that it would be impossible to do while restricted. then the police i expect would impound the bike or something then do the dyno check once they found out the bike wasnt restricted they would prob take the licence away???. unsure really. but on the road the bike would be the same restricted of not the police im sure wouldnt know what to look for. looks the same atleast

1 - 18 of 18 Posts