Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am trying to decide between 35w or 50w HID's. For those of you that have 35w are they bright enough? I am thinking that they will be and that the 50w will be too bright but would like to hear from people with experience with them.

Do the 50w have an disadvantages?

Cheers

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
I bought the HID upgrade kit for my 06 and I haven't gotten home yet to install it :(

·
Great!
90 Posts
Pretty funny, i just posted up the same thread in a different forum. I saw the lite-eyes website too. how they have a 35w and 50w. I dont know what the differences are, some people said they never heard of different watt hid systems. but for almost double the price? i think im going to buy the 35 watt ones. Theyre already pretty bright. Plus if you get projectors and retrofit em it would be sharper.

·
Registered
107 Posts
fedex finally brought my 55w kit today. after i install them ill take some pics of my bike next to my brothers 35w kit in his car. but yea they better be bright as hell or ill be pissed cuz they were like twice as expensive.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't think the wattage means anything in terms of brightness. The Brightness is determined by the KV rating i.e. 4500k, 6000k ect. Lumens are the actual measurement of brightness, some companies advertise them and some don’t but KV rating is what we always see.

The ballast is what determines the wattage consumed either 35 watts or 50 watts. You want 35 watts because it drains less of your bikes batteries. They only made the 50 watts version for the high end vehicles that are smart enough to know if your head lights are out. If the car doesn’t see 50 watts it will give you errors on the dash and shutdown the headlight relays, I know this for a fact since I tried to put 35 watt HID on my Benz.

·
Nut 'N Bitch
1,734 Posts
I don't think the wattage means anything in terms of brightness. The Brightness is determined by the KV rating i.e. 4500k, 6000k ect. Lumens are the actual measurement of brightness, some companies advertise them and some don’t but KV rating is what we always see.
What do you mean the wattage had nothing to do with them? The wattage is the amount of power running to your HIDs. 55watts is going to have more power than the 35 watts obviously. The 4500k, 6000k ect. is the temperature at which the gas inside the tube is burning. 6000k for example is burning at 6000k kelvin. Now if your burning something at 6000k kelvin with 55 watts of power, that is going to cause the reaction to occur at a increased rate producing more lumens than the same reaction at 6000k with only 35 watts of power.

·
IDADONE
664 Posts
What do you mean the wattage had nothing to do with them? The wattage is the amount of power running to your HIDs. 55watts is going to have more power than the 35 watts obviously. The 4500k, 6000k ect. is the temperature at which the gas inside the tube is burning. 6000k for example is burning at 6000k kelvin. Now if your burning something at 6000k kelvin with 55 watts of power, that is going to cause the reaction to occur at a increased rate producing more lumens than the same reaction at 6000k with only 35 watts of power.
the wattage only matters for load, needed for bulb size..

·
IDADONE
664 Posts
120 volt lamp for example, a 100 watt lightbulb is brighter than a 60 watt lightbulb.

·
Registered
18 Posts

The ballast is what determines the wattage consumed either 35 watts or 50 watts. You want 35 watts because it drains less of your bikes batteries. They only made the 50 watts version for the high end vehicles that are smart enough to know if your head lights are out. If the car doesn’t see 50 watts it will give you errors on the dash and shutdown the headlight relays, I know this for a fact since I tried to put 35 watt HID on my Benz.
sorry but wattage determines brightness. Its how much power the ballast exerts to shine the light, the more power the brighter the light. The K rating has nothing to do with brightness only color.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts