Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
slow guy
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The whole track is 30' wide if I remember correctly, some areas are deceiving and look much narrower.

what track is that? It seems like a nice place to do trackdays to learn.
Blackhawk Farms in south Beliot IL. It's a fun track, they do lots of trackdays and racing there.

·
track is legal heroin
262 Posts
hey bud, try shifting more, you tend to stay in 1 gear the whole time except in the straights. study the track and find your shift points to stay in the power. if you have to mess with sproket sizes do it. good rule of thumb is if your below 9g your doing something wrong. try taping off your tack under 8 grand and it will give you a quick glance reference so your not constantly studying it. this way you can glance and know if your good or not. its a sport bike. staying at 10g around the track isnt gonna hurt anything as long as you do proper oil changes (i/e after every track/race day)

and btw im guessing thats a go pro? how bad is the weight and wind mounted on the side of your hemlet?

·
slow guy
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Nice! Looks like you had some fun! :YEA
:toocool:
hey bud, try shifting more, you tend to stay in 1 gear the whole time except in the straights. study the track and find your shift points to stay in the power. if you have to mess with sproket sizes do it. good rule of thumb is if your below 9g your doing something wrong. try taping off your tack under 8 grand and it will give you a quick glance reference so your not constantly studying it. this way you can glance and know if your good or not. its a sport bike. staying at 10g around the track isnt gonna hurt anything as long as you do proper oil changes (i/e after every track/race day)

and btw im guessing thats a go pro? how bad is the weight and wind mounted on the side of your hemlet?
I was using 2nd and 3rd most of the track as that's all I need at my speed. I just did a -1/+2 520 conversion and it helped a ton. If I shifted more I'd be crashing, I was running at speeds I was comfortable with and more concerned about hitting my apex's and having good body position. Speed will come, I'm fast enough to run intermediate now, but I have a very long way to go. I don't look at my tach much if any, I can feel and tell when I'm wound out or lugging it. Also I think telling someone being below 9k that they are doing it wrong is TERRIBLE advice. This was my 2nd trackday, I'm there to learn, not play Johnny turn and burn. I was also being followed by the class instructor and getting input after every session. I'm not worried about running at over 10k around the track, if I was my bike would never touch the track.

As for the go pro once moving I didn't even notice it was there, I was hitting 130+ on the front stretch when I checked, it felt no different when it was on or off at those speeds.

Session 2 of the day, very sloppy riding at this point of the day by me.

·
El Speedy Gozales
924 Posts
^^ Good point bro!

This is a GREAT track and one of my favorites! when doing some riders clinics there, instructors "instruct" their students to run the track in 3rd gear so that they concentrate on lines and BP, I agree that one needs to really learn the track before picking up speed but once you have learned it to the best you can, at speed this track is soooooo much fun. Great passing zones, technical enough and just the right lenght.

·
El Speedy Gozales
924 Posts
Track record there is something like high 1:08's too !!! I have seen many go down and lucky enough not ever hit the trees, exiting the bus stop you have to be careful if you go down there, you will hit the tire wall and the bike can flip over it and hit the peeps in the stands :)

·
track is legal heroin
262 Posts
well apparently you have alot of experience to tell me im wrong, keeping in mind i was told it at the pridmore star school but hell, what do they know right. you say your out there to learn, they learn correctly. no need to play "johnny turn and burn" w/e that is. 50 mph in 2nd or 3rd gear is still 50 mph but it flows better. alot of thought is put into tracks and at speed they feel better. dont go out and be super man but apparently you know exactly what your doing.

btw shifting wouldnt cause accidents, shifting should be seamless and easy with your slipper clutch, it is possible to brake and downshift at the same time.that is why i said study the track to find your shift points, you know "learn" but your welcome for the input, i wont waste my time again

·
El Speedy Gozales
924 Posts
well apparently you have alot of experience to tell me im wrong, keeping in mind i was told it at the pridmore star school but hell, what do they know right. you say your out there to learn, they learn correctly. no need to play "johnny turn and burn" w/e that is. 50 mph in 2nd or 3rd gear is still 50 mph but it flows better. alot of thought is put into tracks and at speed they feel better. dont go out and be super man but apparently you know exactly what your doing.

btw shifting wouldnt cause accidents, shifting should be seamless and easy with your slipper clutch, it is possible to brake and downshift at the same time.that is why i said study the track to find your shift points, you know "learn" but your welcome for the input, i wont waste my time again
I agree that after seeing the video I was thinking the same thing "shift man shift!" as there were points on the track I felt should have been taken in a higher/lower gear. But I took a step back and realized that this was his 2nd day and he was still learning the whole process, BHF is a pretty intimidating track for a beginner and I simply took into account that he didn't want to take away from his concentration (lines and BP) to have to worry about shifting too. Some people learn differently than others, in the end if he came away with points to work on (and un hurt) than it was a win win IMO

·
slow guy
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)

It's my 2nd trackday I'm learning the track still be it braking points, entry, apex's and exiting properly. Some of the turns I still have a hard time getting consistent on. I don't need to go faster I need to be smoother. Like stated below we did drills in one gear only around the whole track to control speed only with the throttle, no braking. Maybe I misunderstood what you said, but shifting doesn't equal dangerous. I wasn't upshifting as much because I didn't want to go any faster yet.
I agree that after seeing the video I was thinking the same thing "shift man shift!" as there were points on the track I felt should have been taken in a higher/lower gear. But I took a step back and realized that this was his 2nd day and he was still learning the whole process, BHF is a pretty intimidating track for a beginner and I simply took into account that he didn't want to take away from his concentration (lines and BP) to have to worry about shifting too. Some people learn differently than others, in the end if he came away with points to work on (and un hurt) than it was a win win IMO
Exactly, I'm in no rush to get faster. I'm running 1:33's, yes it's slow, but much better then my first day on the track.

·
slow guy
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
eff the trees... good grief. that would scare the piss outta me.
:stupic

That looks like riding on east texas roads.. Not a track
I don't notice the trees while on the track. You wouldn't want to see some of the mx tracks around here then if you think that is scary.

·
El Speedy Gozales
924 Posts
It's my 2nd trackday I'm learning the track still be it braking points, entry, apex's and exiting properly. Some of the turns I still have a hard time getting consistent on. I don't need to go faster I need to be smoother. Like stated below we did drills in one gear only around the whole track to control speed only with the throttle, no braking. Maybe I misunderstood what you said, but shifting doesn't equal dangerous. I wasn't upshifting as much because I didn't want to go any faster yet.

Exactly, I'm in no rush to get faster. I'm running 1:33's, yes it's slow, but much better then my first day on the track.
1:33's is pretty good for your second TD, you have the right approach to the sport. I know people that have done more TD's than that and are in the upper 30's low 40's but again its all about how fast you want to and willing to go. What org do you run with? I do NESBA, STT and MotoVid.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts