Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard rumors that if you buy a bike in Cali, it has some sort of smog restriction on it that if you take it off, it will give you a few extra ponies...is this true? If so, where is it located?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I heard a rumor that the manufacturers are going to be making all the bikes cali bikes from now on. If that is the case, then that means that all the bikes are going to have a couple more ponies if you take the smog crap off.

·
Registered
953 Posts
miraclegrau said:
I heard a rumor that the manufacturers are going to be making all the bikes cali bikes from now on. If that is the case, then that means that all the bikes are going to have a couple more ponies if you take the smog crap off.
:bsflag that's bull shit. i'll be pissed off if they do that. :cuss

damn it california.

·
Registered
327 Posts
It'c cool if you ask me. If you take a stock 49 state bike, and a stock cali bike with all the smog stuff taken off of it, the cali bike will make more power. I'm not talking about the difference being like an R1 to an R6...it will just make a few more hp at the dyno.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Right on Yamaha's site it says the new bikes are legal in all 50 states. This doesnt mean that everyone gets a bike that blows. They had to develop a new exhaust system with a catalyst in it to be legal in Europe. The EU emissions regulations were tightened up for 04, and since it would pass smog in Cali and still make enough power to please the European market customers they sold it in the US as well. Why bother having to send two different bikes with different manuals and such when just one will work fine? They developed the bike to be a sweet performer right out of the box. If there is anything to gain, find out what someone like Graves or the factory riders bikes are like. The people with the dyno who make a living going faster than everyone else will know the best mods to do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts