Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
life is sweeeet.
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah...thats the fake hid..just the bulb to look like you have h.i.d.'s.other r6 forum who's looking for a 50 watt h.i.d. kit for his bike and i tell him h.i.d.s are all 35 watt..the 50 watts are the fake one's..right?.

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
yeah...thats the fake hid..just the bulb to look like you have h.i.d.'s.other r6 forum who's looking for a 50 watt h.i.d. kit for his bike and i tell him h.i.d.s are all 35 watt..the 50 watts are the fake one's..right?.
i think there are some companies that sell a 50w ballast. ddm sells the same bulbs in the 55w and 35w kits. the bulbs from ddm are all rated to 60w, it is just the ballast that determines the power level. but 55w hid kits DO exist, and i see no reason why a company couldnt make a 50w ballast if they wanted.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Yeah people will flick their head lights at you in the day time to turn off the high beams, I still keep them both on though

·
Registered
117 Posts
Well the watts are for the ballast. . But what makes the hids so bright is the gas (instead of a spring element thingy in a regular bulb) lit up inside the hid bulb. . Right?

I might be wrong, but I thought the reason those ballast say they are hazardous was due to voltage output. . ??:fact

So why do they have different wattage hid kits. . ? Shouldn't wattage only matter to regular bulbs, for example, want your lights to be brighter, you get higher wattage bulbs. . right? Ofcourse that wouldn't apply to hids. .

Please anyone enlighten(haha) us. .

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
Well the watts are for the ballast. . But what makes the hids so bright is the gas (instead of a spring element thingy in a regular bulb) lit up inside the hid bulb. . Right?

I might be wrong, but I thought the reason those ballast say they are hazardous was due to voltage output. . ??:fact

So why do they have different wattage hid kits. . ? Shouldn't wattage only matter to regular bulbs, for example, want your lights to be brighter, you get higher wattage bulbs. . right? Ofcourse that wouldn't apply to hids. .

Please anyone enlighten(haha) us. .
youre part right. the way an hid works is by electricity exciting atoms in the gasses in the bulb. the more wattage, the more excited the atoms become, meaning more light. essentially, it is the same as a standard filament style in terms of more power=more light. its just that the way the light is produced is different.

·
Registered
117 Posts
10-4 . . .

so what is the output on most hid ballasts. . ? as far a watts, voltage, etc etc.

sorry for the dumb ?s

and also don't they all operate the same as long as they have a 12v input. . ?

trying not to get lost here.

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
10-4 . . .

so what is the output on most hid ballasts. . ? as far a watts, voltage, etc etc.

sorry for the dumb ?s

and also don't they all operate the same as long as they have a 12v input. . ?

trying not to get lost here.
i cant blame you. i was lost at first too. the ballasts are essentially all the same. the only differences are the wattage. watts=volts*amps. also, there is a slight loss of power in the ballast itself(inefficiency). if i recall correctly, the 35w ballasts that my roommate got had an input of 12v at 3.6A. that means about .7A was lost in there. as far as hooking them up, here is what was needed. the kit was for 9007 bulbs. the same ballasts come with all bulb types. there were two pieces each on the HID and the ballast that were black with yellow seals. they would only plug into the opposites on the ballast. you cant get them crossed, as there is one male and one female on the hid and one male and one female on the ballast. after that was the tricky part. if you have half a brain, it wont be too hard. you get a plug that you have to build. it looks the same as the connector on the regular bulb. there are two wired coming from the HID bulb(one red, one black). for the 9007, the black wire goes in the center of the plug. after that, we had to figure out which side was which(high and low beam) since the standard 9007 bulbs have both built into one bulb. for us, we simply tried them in one side, then plugged the assembled plug into the factory receptacle in the harness. they didnt work when the regular lights were on, but they worked when the high beams were on. to fix this, we just removed the wire from the one slot and moved it to the other. now the hid is running as the low beam, and turns off when the high beam is turned on. if your vehicle uses two different bulbs for high and low beam, this shouldnt be a problem. as soon as i get the kit in for my 03, i will let you know how that install went(and i will try to take pix)

·
loves riding his 6
802 Posts
whoa these are so cheap! are these legit?

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
whoa these are so cheap! are these legit?
my roommate ordered them from ddmtuning and got them within like 4 days, except a ballast was missing. the packaging was beat to hell though, so we arent sure if they just didnt throw in the second ballast, or if the ballast got lost during shipping. either way, they got him another ballast in 2 days.

·
loves riding his 6
802 Posts
wow pair of bulbs and ballast for 50 dollars? im sold

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
wow pair of bulbs and ballast for 50 dollars? im sold
i went the cheap way and got the full size ballasts for 30 bucks. i saw a guy fit them into the front of his 03 here, so i know i can cram them in between the gauge cluster and windscreen too. thats for the 03-05 r6 and 06+ R6S. dont know if they will fit on the r6r.(doubt it)

·
loves riding his 6
802 Posts
still.. 50 dollars for bulbs and ballast is unheard of... cuz usually they cost around 200 dollars..

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
still.. 50 dollars for bulbs and ballast is unheard of... cuz usually they cost around 200 dollars..
most places are pretty cheap anymore. the technology isnt as new and its moore common. even on ebay they are cheap still. and as far as people not getting both ballasts, it may have been because they were running out of ballasts and trying to save them. i know a bunch of people on other forums who have been happy with them. i have my kits on backorder right now(should ship today or tomorrow) and i have 2 kits, plus a spare set of bulbs coming. i have faith in them.

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,296 Posts
Ok, Ive got the 35w DDM tuning kit and I couldnt be happier. Been rockin it for 2 years now and not even a flicker of a problem. Now, mind you I wouldve gotten the 55w kit but if you go with that kit, youll need to install a separate relay to relieve the stock wiring harness from too much current draw.

Stock Halogen: 55w, 5-10a draw on start up...15a draw running
35w HID: 15a draw while igniting...5a once "warmed" up.
55w HID: 20a draw while igniting...10a once "warmed" up.

The stock wiring harness is designed to handle about a 15a draw, if you install a 55w HID kit without a relay to take the brunt of the ignition of the HID's, youll fry your stock wiring harness. Itll work for a while, but your stock harness will fail.

I chose to go with the 35w kit so I didnt have to install a separate relay...mind you its not difficult to install said relay, but its one more step. And again, I couldnt be happier with the 35w kit...

Hope this helps...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts