Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i have a brand new 07 R6 that I have 700 miles on now. They told me to put 600 or 800 on it and then bring it in for the first service. I heard that is would be like $150 for the first service though and that seems ridiculous. I can go get some oil and a filter and do it myself for less than $50

so what all do they check at the first maintanence?

Thanks.

·
I like ice cream!
1,350 Posts
Hey man all they do for the 600 mile service is change the oil/oil filter and check everything for tightness. Cables, bolts, chain, etc. Save some money and do it yourself.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
yeah they try to make the 600 mile thing sound awesome cuz they want to rip you off.

just go over the things in the back of your owners manual. it gives you scheduled maintenance for mileage. the 600 is basically just an oil/filter change, checking chain tightness, clutch and throttle free play, brakes, headlight positions, etc...

·
MACGYVER 05 R6 NJ
4,033 Posts
Just dont strip the bolt. Yamaha puts it on with a hammer drill. Before you remove the bolt tap the end of the bolt with a hammer to help break the seal. Use a breaker bar to remove the bolt. If you strip the bolt It will be more than 100 to relpace the pan.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If you have a warranty, that warranty is VOID if you don't have the 600 mile maint.

·
Registered
96 Posts
first maintenance is jsut a overall check.. oil change..chagne filter as well. and re-lubing of chains and such.. that's about all, and i beleive a coolant flush. Stock stuff is never good.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I just called seven different stealerships and inquired about a first service for my 08 R6S. I got quotes from $135 to $350 plus oil and filter. There has to be more to it than torquing bolts, oil change and adjust clutch and brake. Lets just say that it takes an hour to remove fairings, change oil and adjust brake and clutch. If it takes someone who works on these daily another hour and a half to just torque bolts it will probably take you four hours to do it correctly and find all of them.

I am taking mine in for the first service just for liability issues. It's not gonna be my ass if my bike fails, it's going to be the dealers/Yamaha. It is bullsh!t though that the prices from dealerships fluctuate so much. There is a $215 difference! They need to make their cut too, but $215 more than another dealer who is already making a profit?

·
Premium Member
1,668 Posts
Dealerships only do half of what they say. Better to do it yourself. If you live in Indiana hit me up, and I'll do it all right in front of you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Do it yourself....if you can handle an oil change you can do it... dealerships are a business...they need to make money thats their purpose..as far as warranty thats a bunch a load bull if your dealer is saying it will void your warranty..yamaha will warranty all that has been regulary maintained no matter who does it.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Do it yourself....if you can handle an oil change you can do it... dealerships are a business...they need to make money thats their purpose..as far as warranty thats a bunch a load bull if your dealer is saying it will void your warranty..yamaha will warranty all that has been regulary maintained no matter who does it.
my buddy talked to the yamaha place here. as long as the oil and filters used are from yamaha and was done at ATLEAST the scheduled intervals they will honor the warranty. im not using their oil but i bought my filter there, if i need the warranty tho i'll claim i used yamalube or something i bought off the internet cuz it was cheaper than in their stealership.

stealerships rarely do all the work they say they are going to do...and if they do do it they charge you MUCH more than they should...plus they love to strip screws and bolts and not tell you about it. thats why i will never take my car or bike to one to get serviced unless i have to (i.e. the 16000 mile valve lift check) cuz i cant do that myself.

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,925 Posts
If you have a warranty, that warranty is VOID if you don't have the 600 mile maint.
Raising the BS flag on you.

Becuase I have NEVER had my bike serviced at the shop EVER, and my 4 year warrenty is not void. As a matter of fact I used it a couple months ago.

If you were correct on this issue, that means that you would have to have EVERY SINGLE suggested service done and documented by the stealership. They have NEVER asked me for that paperwork when I have used my warrenty.

You love to stir that pot and make people worry don't you. DANG

·
Registered
167 Posts
Raising the BS flag on you.
Hey, don't blame me, that's what the warranty guy and the dealership said. It doesn't have to be the same dealership you buy the bike, of course, but that's what the warranty states.

Becuase I have NEVER had my bike serviced at the shop EVER, and my 4 year warrenty is not void. As a matter of fact I used it a couple months ago.
Congrats?

You love to stir that pot and make people worry don't you. DANG
No, not really. Live and let live and sharing my opinion and experience. Sorry you got your panties in the wad though. :*tongue

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,925 Posts
Hey, don't blame me, that's what the warranty guy and the dealership said. It doesn't have to be the same dealership you buy the bike, of course, but that's what the warranty states.

Congrats?

No, not really. Live and let live and sharing my opinion and experience. Sorry you got your panties in the wad though
Not blaming you... Just letting you know you don't have to believe everything that the dealership tells you. They are a business, not your friend. Out to make that Money, not to help you out. If you're saying that they must do all the work, that means that you may NEVER do your own oil changes. (I still call BS on that one)

Thank you. I needed that

Opinion yes, but experience, doesn't seem like you have much. Just for the record, I don't wear any panties. Good lookin out though.

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,925 Posts
Back on topic now. I still say....

Do the work yourself, and don't worry about it. Save the reciepts and keep record of the dates you do the work. It's all easy stuff any how.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If you're saying that they must do all the work, that means that you may NEVER do your own oil changes. (I still call BS on that one)
I did say the first maintenance and I've been riding since you weren't even a sperm in your daddy's single teste.

Thank you. I needed that
Were you masturbating while making that post? You need to release your energy in other ways.
:nocontrol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts