Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does this really make a big difference and should I get it done before the dyno and what ratios are you that have the conversion runnin i tried to search the forum it wouldnt let me if its already been posted let me know where

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
LURKING.........

LURKING......

POUNCE!!!!!!!!!!

Yes a 520 chain conversion will make a big difference, the weight savings of the chain (and usually the sprockets too if you buy good ones) makes the engine have to use less power to accelerate the rear wheel.

If youre doing the swap (you gotta swap sprockets to go to a 520 chain) consider a little gearing change. Even adding a tooth to the rear sprocket will give you a little extra oomph in the low end.

Mine is 520 chain/15 tooth front (one down)/50 tooth rear (two up), and Im here to tell ya it makes it a whole new bike!!

·
Can u c my turn signals?
128 Posts
What do you mean when you say it makes a whole new bike? :stupic

I am thinking about changing my gear ratio, but what is the best ratio to go to? :cuss

Anyone got the answers?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
What are you looking to accomplish by changing your gearing?

How long have you been riding?

Up a tooth in back will be similar to what you have now except that pull you get in the higher rpms will come on a tad sooner

Two up in back (or one down in front) will give you some serious pull compared to stock

Two up in back and one down in front...well...if i sit in the back half of the seat and take off hard in first gear consistently rolling on the throttle, the front wheel comes up fast on its own at around 8 grand...

·
Can u c my turn signals?
128 Posts
By changing the gearing I am hoping to gain faster accleration without to much top end speed loss and more importantly without the front wheel coming off the ground everytime I punch it.

I have been riding a harley for over 10 years, but I just started riding a sport bike two years ago ( never going back either).

After some research (not much) I was thinking about going down one in the front and keeping the back stock or going down one in the front and rear.

I was hoping that someone who has done one or the other could give me some feedback about how the bike feels after the change.

Thanks for your help Jasamb :cheers

·
Banned
4,008 Posts
i did the swap and love it. i got 15/49 gearing. but if you dont want to change the chain out and still want the better acceleration. buy a front sprocket with 15 teeth for your stck chain sixe, which i beleive is 530 maybe 535. it should only cost you about 25 total and you wont have to get a new chain :cheers

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thats the ratio I was thinking of getting Loki. I have gone down to a 15 in front already but now I want the 520 conv and where did you get yours from

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.