Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a good write-up on a 520 conversion and gearing explained. I have an 07' R6 and am looking at a 520 kit, but am not familiar with all the gearing lingo. I would like a little more low end performance but not lose a lot of top end. I see alot of people using a -1/+2. Perhaps I would be o.k. using a -1/+1. I also see alot of different chain types. Can anyone explain?

Thanks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
here is how it works, when you go down teeth in the front or up teeth in the rear you get the fealing of more torque. -1/+2 is extremly popular. -1 in the front is like going up 3 in the rear. So -1/+2 is 5 teeth up!! I personally like to go fast on the highway and still get good gas millage. when i was -1/+2 I hated it for the highway, so i went back to just -1 in the front. It was my happy medium! A little more torque and still good gas millage on the highway!! But from what ur saying i would go with one down in the front and keep the back stock!!! And from what i understand a 520 chain is lighter and has less resistance on the crank allowing the bike to go faster. But dont quote me on that!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts