Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please explain to me this 520 Conversion? Im new to this bike thing. What is the best brand in peoples opinion? What is all this ratio stuff? I want my bike to accelerate faster so which one do I go with? Anything info would help. Thanks

·
Registered
135 Posts
Can someone please explain to me this 520 Conversion? Im new to this bike thing. What is the best brand in peoples opinion? What is all this ratio stuff? I want my bike to accelerate faster so which one do I go with? Anything info would help. Thanks
Chain and sprocket change...
moast use 15 front and 47 rear(sprockets)..

search around on the sponsored sites/ebay and you wil find it quite easy..
all brands on the sponsored sites are good stuff

from what I've heared.. the 15.47 wil give you more acceleration on the bike and the front wheel wil lift from the ground alot easyer.. so just need to learn to gear a bit different.. and its a bit lighter than the regular stuff I believe.. (correct me if i'm wrong :sing)

personally I like the Vortex ones.. for the looks.. but dont like that they are alluminium.. but if ur not a stunter they wil work great from what I've heard.. :toocool:

little quote of the product :p
One of the major complaints we've seen with the 2006 R6 is that the first gear is SOOO Tall and it kind of "lugs" off the start then it begins to spin up well. This 520 conversion eliminates that tall first gear, gets the bike off the line faster and improves acceleration in EVERY gear. Top speed loss, in 6th gear is 7MPH.

This fits all of the R6s and increases power response across the rev range. Dyno tests prove that you can reach peak torque and HP an average of .3 seconds faster than stock!

Stock Sprocket sizes are 16 tooth front 45 tooth rear which has a final drive ratio of 2.81 Our optimum ratio is 15 tooth front 47 tooth rear which has a final drive ratio of 3.13

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Mate

I'm looking into this too for my R6, Think of the gears on a mountain bike and the difference the size of the cogs/sprockets make, it's the same principle. What the 520 kit consists of diffreent size sprockts. The 15 front and 47 rear the Raastad mentioned referes to the teeth on the sprocket. If you do a search they'll be plenty of links around it either that or call Renthal and they'll be able to give you some info2

·
Registered
320 Posts
i just ordered my vortex kit off of ebay. i have to look into speedohealer now, how accurate are they?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the help guys. Im not looking to pick the front wheel up off the ground though. All I want is for better take off in first gear.

·
Registered
135 Posts
thanks for all the help guys. Im not looking to pick the front wheel up off the ground though. All I want is for better take off in first gear.
You wil only need to "relearn" the trottle controll and the front wont lift off ^^

·
Track Junkie
334 Posts
"520" has nothing to do with the sprocket! This number refers to the chain "weight" (the simplest way to describe it - lower number = lighter chain). 520 chain will be lighter, but less durable. You get better performance by decreasing unsprung weight.
When going to a 520 chaine you will need new sprockets as well. If you pick gearing that corresponds to stock, speedometer will function correctly.

·
Track Junkie
334 Posts
Little correction - with 520 you will need a different sprocket, but the conversion itself is not about number of teeth, rather reducing chain weight.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Should be able to calibrate them to a gps'ish accurate rate..
use the online calculator on http://www.healtech-electronics.com/
thanks for that websites. very helpful. im excited got a full exhaust, pcIII, gytr filter, 520 conversion all ordered, just got to get them on. should wake the bike up a ton

·
My R6 shoots tequila
1,487 Posts
Chain and sprocket change...
moast use 15 front and 47 rear(sprockets)..

search around on the sponsored sites/ebay and you wil find it quite easy..
all brands on the sponsored sites are good stuff

from what I've heared.. the 15.47 wil give you more acceleration on the bike and the front wheel wil lift from the ground alot easyer.. so just need to learn to gear a bit different.. and its a bit lighter than the regular stuff I believe.. (correct me if i'm wrong :sing)

personally I like the Vortex ones.. for the looks.. but dont like that they are alluminium.. but if ur not a stunter they wil work great from what I've heard.. :toocool:

little quote of the product :p
Careful...

The 15/47 is a -1 +2 conversion for 06 & + R6 models. The same conversion on my 05 is 15/50 (stock gearing is 16/48) I love this upgrade it is one of the best ones I have done on my bike. It takes a little getting used to but its fun once you learn it. This is a great inexpensive mod i would reccomend it to those who wish for more low end accelleration. It is prudent that you get a speedohealer as well or you will be putting extra miles on the bike, and the speedo will be off. Good luck!

:cheers

·
Slammed and Stretched!!!
772 Posts
Little correction - with 520 you will need a different sprocket, but the conversion itself is not about number of teeth, rather reducing chain weight.
IIRC, 520, 525, and 530 where the pitch of the chain, not the weight.

·
R64LIFE
283 Posts
I have nothing say about this mod except to GET IT it really improves the low and midrange in all the gears. I friggin love it. A dampner might be prudent as it gets really light on the front end now. GOOD TIMES.

·
Riding his own ride...
4,639 Posts
think of the 520 or 530 as the thickness of a sprocket/chain. the thickness or width is directly what it's referring to. It's called the pitch and the smaller the pitch the thinner the sprocket/chain. Most everyone nowadays goes with a 520 as they are plenty strong, cheaper, and less weight. Just get a good quality kit so it lasts a good long time. Better to pay a tad more then save 20 dollars and have to replace it in half the time of a quality kit.

·
Registered
82 Posts
i just ordered my vortex kit off of ebay. i have to look into speedohealer now, how accurate are they?
Mine is dead on at 60mph. I work with alot of cops so i had one pace me at 60, took the diffrence my speedo said vs the set speed (60) and pluged it into the on line calculator. After it was installed and working, I asked another cop to clock me using radar. 60 mph dead on.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts