Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all....I was thinking about getting in on the 520 kits sale that creeper brought up and was wondering what gearing you guys were using and why you like it or dislike it. What are the advantages (low end power) and / or disadvantages (higher revs). Also, how will this affect my speedo and also my gas mileage???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
diffrent strokes for diffrent fokes. i did the 520 15-50 setup and hated it. i went back to stock gearing within a week. i still have the 520 chain though. i didnt like how high the rpms were on long highway rides with the 15-50 gearing. as far as your speedo being off, it will be if you start changing your sprockets.
 

·
flyin' hawaiian
Joined
·
2,815 Posts
yeah i have the same thing 15-50. its great for canyon runs and just about any other twisty roads. on highway runs just put it in a higher gear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
501 Posts
i have the 520 15-51 kit, love it! my speedo is off by 7-10 mph and the rpms are only slightly higher. Great in the twisties and if you want to do stunts easy :poke
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
784 Posts
I did the 15/50 520 setup and loved it. RPMs only ran about 400-500 higher and the speedo was only off abou 5-7 mph, but the acceleration difference was worth it. Also for me, this gear change made it seem like a wheelie monster. The front loved to come up. But like mentioned before, the sprocket change makes a difference in the twisties and canyons.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,620 Posts
15/50 is real strong, but you can start to see a tad bit of decreased rideability...not much...but you shift a little more and it wants to come up on ya a little in first.

15/49 is just under the "bad-ass monster" category and is a great way to go for all round (if you like to go fast and cruise around a bit too)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jasamb said:
15/50 is real strong, but you can start to see a tad bit of decreased rideability...not much...but you shift a little more and it wants to come up on ya a little in first.

15/49 is just under the "bad-ass monster" category and is a great way to go for all round (if you like to go fast and cruise around a bit too)
Yeah i was thinking about either a 15/49 setup or just going -1 in the front to go 15/48. I had a friend go 15/51 but he just pops wheelies all day. How big of a difference feel wise is 15/49 to 15/48, is it even noticeable??? also, what advantages are there in canyon riding? Torque? Increased acceleration?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
My friends got 13 / 51...wheelie machine...i dunno how it is for highway rides. I live in north jersey and it is mostly twisties around here so im sure he likes it. He doesnt like to go over 100 miles per tank. For me im not on the highway as much as i am in the turns. I would go with 15 / 50. If you dont like it change the rear to 49 or 48.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
302 Posts
Would it be better to go with a -1 in the front, or a +1 in the back? I'm looking at either or, because I do find myself on freeways sometimes, and I'd rather not be at higher RPMs at cruising speeds then necassary, would I see a difference with a -1 front OR a +1 in the rear to begin with??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
i was considering the 520 setup but a couple of my riding buddies said not to becuz the 520 is too light and i would go through chains and sprokets like no tomarrow, any truth to that, or are they just miss informed. i like to wheelie pretty much when ever the opportunity is there, so i know that puts some extra stress on the drive train, so will that make a difference in the life of the chain etc. thanx guys
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
359 Posts
Yeah i was thinking about either a 15/49 setup or just going -1 in the front to go 15/48. I had a friend go 15/51 but he just pops wheelies all day. How big of a difference feel wise is 15/49 to 15/48, is it even noticeable??? also, what advantages are there in canyon riding? Torque? Increased acceleration?
Any one have an answer for that
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
I had 15/47 and didn't really notice much difference from stock but, my adjustments basically canceled each other out almost. Going -1 in the front is like going +2.5 in the rear. Today I just changed the rear sprocket to 51 and kept the front 15 and now she takes off like a banshee. As far as wheelies, it always could quite easily even stock. I changed sprockets mostly because I wanted to run on a short 1.9 mile track more often.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
506 Posts
What are the stock numbers for F/R?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,802 Posts
SuperSpud said:
I had 15/47 and didn't really notice much difference from stock but, my adjustments basically canceled each other out almost. Going -1 in the front is like going +2.5 in the rear. Today I just changed the rear sprocket to 51 and kept the front 15 and now she takes off like a banshee. As far as wheelies, it always could quite easily even stock. I changed sprockets mostly because I wanted to run on a short 1.9 mile track more often.
i think he got his 520 conversion by now, you know.... i's been like a year!
:fact
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
OK im kinda slow... smaller front... bigger back more tourqe... visa versa more top end?
 

·
5/8/10 - NES BBQ V
Joined
·
3,208 Posts
Black_Blur said:
OK im kinda slow... smaller front... bigger back more tourqe... visa versa more top end?
you are correct. more torque in low and mid ranges. :popcorn:
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top