Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Prove it!
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I bought a 15/47 Chain conversion and haven't put it on yet. Everyone always seemed to say that the 15/47 520 kits didn't drop the top end all that much. Here's the deal, I used a gear calculator that said the bike would have a top end of under 140mph. What is your experience with the above mentioned kit? What top end did it take you down to? I want real people with this kit to share their personal opinions.

2007 R6 with stock gearing of 16/45.

Thanks

·
Prove it!
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

·
Registered
917 Posts
I havent ran my r6 with a speedohealer yet but my top speed on the my r6 with stock gearing was 169mph I'd imagine Im around 160mph now

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
you mean an indicated 169, which means about 160....The 07 r6 will not do 170 stock....also its going to be more than 9 mph off...

ive got a 520 on my 03 and am off by about 13-15 percent...so that would take your top down by about 18 which would be around 145 (I could also be wrong)

Unless you're track racin then its a different story but why would you need to go that fast? Just so you can? I dont ever see a need to go that fast on the streets...just my .02 though

·
Garage Queen R6
719 Posts
Does it matter that your top speed is only 140mph? How often will you do that? The acceleration gain the low rpm's is the better trade off since you will be under 10k for most of the time you ride.

·
Prove it!
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not completely concerned about the top MPH for the speed. I frequently ride to work and the average speed I travel at is 80MPH. I don't want the 16-18% increase in RPM if that's relative to the loss in speed. Gas mileage would go to crap.

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
When im on hwy goin about 75...my speedo says 85...im runnin aroun 8Kish rpm...i still get good gas mileage though

·
Registered
28 Posts
i have a 07 w/ -1 +5 and my speed only seems to be off around 10% ish. i rode my friends -1 +2 but it doesnt seem like the power is there. the -5 really help the flat lowend

·
Registered
10 Posts
i did the -1/+2 on my 02 r1 and lost alot of top end loved it on the street but needed to change it for the track.speedometer would read 197 m.p.h. but my buddy with a gsxr 750 side by side said i was only going 154 m.p.h. so you know i was going slower than that because all speedos are of some.

·
'taking n00bs to school'
95 Posts
I have the 520 kit with -1/+2 for my 2002 R6. If I can still go atleast 130mph i'll be happy...but the fastest i've ever gone was 115 on the highway. There's really no need to go any faster because of the cops and obvious safety dilemas

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have that kit on my 06 and love the change. at 60mph (speedohealer installed) my tach shows 6k revs. 70 is around 7k revs. I still get decent gas mileage and i won't ever need to do over 140 or whatever the gearing tops out at, so it was well worth the accel improvement...

I would highly recommend

1 - 11 of 11 Posts