Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bought off of ebay last week and arrived today spocket is in good shape its a RRP 49 teeth so up on in the rear. But the chain has seen better days. Most likely in the junk yard for a while. Links are fine and lookes like the o-rings are ok but has a ton of RUST on the steal middle part which i believe should be rolling around will this go away once i mount it and the chain is engadged with the sprocket????

Regardless got a hell of a deal 24 dollars for both spocket alone is about 55.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would clean in thoroughly and soak it in some kerosene overnight. Let it dry completely and then soak it down in wd-40.

Ride around for an hour or so and let it cool down. Soak it with wd-40 again and ride again. Do that for about the next 5 to 10 rides and then it should be good to go.

Ride it around to get the chain warmed up and spray it with some belray o-ring lube.

It would be best to ride it around with a safety wired link while you are wd-40ing it. then after you get done with all the wd-40 take the chain off and inspect it. If everything moves the way it should then throw it back on and put a rivet link on it.

People say the life of chains are short but they will last a good 40,000 miles if they are well maintained.

Oh yeah, I would also take a wire wheel to the chain first if you can do it without eating the rubber o-rings.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.