Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Jesus would've rode an R6
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am deciding if to purchase a used 2004 red and black R6 with just under 1700 original miles. It's 100% stock with exception of fender eliminator kit.
It is SUPER CLEAN. Female cop owned, no scratches, no knicks, looks brand new.

Is $5700 a fair price? Or too much? I really like this bike and am amazed at the low mileage. Again, very very clean bike.

Thanks!

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,925 Posts
an 04 with only 1 thousand 7 hundred miles on it? Was it EVER ridden?

I would say that's a descent deal. But, I would try to talk them down to 5000 or MAX 5200. That's just me though.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Did you just start looking for bike? This is prolly one of the first ones you came across? It really does sound like a nice clean bike, but honestly I would be looking for at the oldest an 05 for that much and if you look long and hard enough im sure you could prolly get an 06 for that much. Just my .02 though

·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The story is that this lady got it 'cuz her husband had a sport bike too. He felt "dumb" being on a sport bike in his mid 40's, so he sold his and got a cruiser. She's looking to do the same.
I was skeptical too, but when I saw it, I was amazed at how clean and 'new' it looks. 1,677 miles when I saw it on saturday.

thanks again,

Mark

·
Registered
998 Posts
Is she the original owner, police auction or bought used? ODO fraud is common with bikes. It's steep considering you can get a new 08 R6S with warranty for $2000 more OTD with 0 miles. What part of the country are you in? How was it stored?

·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is she the original owner, police auction or bought used? ODO fraud is common with bikes. It's steep considering you can get a new 08 R6S with warranty for $2000 more OTD with 0 miles. What part of the country are you in? How was it stored?
She's the original owner. It's in South Carolina, and stored in garage under cover.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I got my 05 for $5400. It had just over 4000mi on it.
Even though she has low miles (in fact, unbelievably low miles), that still sounds like too much.

·
Registered
998 Posts
This is the Kelly Blue Book price for a Dealers asking price for an 04 R6 in Myrtle Beach SC http://www.kbb.com/kbb/OtherVehicle...iceType=Retail&ManufacturerId=343&YearId=2004

Remember that is a dealers asking price not private party. Things rarely sell for dealer asking price either at a dealer. Offer $4900 and leave it at that. Does here husband have gear that he can include? There are better deals out there. If it's your first bike, there are high chances it will go down in the first 6 months.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i think its a good deal if you can knock a couple hundred off especially if you got them to write a lower price on the pink. beside a R6S MSRP is $8,299 w/o tax and other fees so around 10,000 OTD. Besides you want the extra money for gear first and damper second.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I paid $4800 for my 04 with 2200 miles on it recently. Very clean and excellent condition, had frame sliders and a fender eliminator kit on it.

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
...and if you look long and hard enough im sure you could prolly get an 06 for that much...
yea... or dang close. my '06 with fender eliminator, frame sliders, flush mounts, double bubble, gytr slip-on, and yamaha spools only cost me $6k. it had 2300 miles on it. so, yea, it's a DECENT deal, but i think you could probably get one cheaper or, better yet, see if she'll come down to about $5200.

·
Registered
40 Posts
it also depends on where you live... i think alaska is going to be cheaper than cali esp in the SF or LA area where the asking price is 6500+

·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the feedback!
As for your '08 comments.....
The problem is that I can't afford the insurance on a bike that new. I understand your point about the warranty and all for only $2k more, but my full coverage policy would be almost 3x the price.
Again, thanks for everyone's feedback. I will try to haggle and keep you all posted.

·
Registered
34 Posts
it also depends on where you live... i think alaska is going to be cheaper than cali esp in the SF or LA area where the asking price is 6500+
I got mine from Boise, ID. I could probably turn around at sell it for $6500+ up here...shits way too expensive here. :thumbdown

Example: Theres an 01 CBR 929 with 17k miles for sale here and they want $7900 for it and its not very clean. Seem to go for $5500 or so downsouth.

·
Registered
998 Posts
i think its a good deal if you can knock a couple hundred off especially if you got them to write a lower price on the pink. beside a R6S MSRP is $8,299 w/o tax and other fees so around 10,000 OTD. Besides you want the extra money for gear first and damper second.
$10,000 where are you buying it from? Does the salesman have 10 kids to feed? I've got a 08 R6S and it wasn't even close to that. $7,900 OTD plus $600 for tax and title.

Thanks for the feedback!
As for your '08 comments.....
The problem is that I can't afford the insurance on a bike that new. I understand your point about the warranty and all for only $2k more, but my full coverage policy would be almost 3x the price.
Again, thanks for everyone's feedback. I will try to haggle and keep you all posted.
Two words for you, State Farm. $550 a year full coverage with four speeding tickets , 23 yr old male plus a Lexus and renters insurance. A

1 - 16 of 16 Posts