Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again all :)

Finally got the bike alsmost ready for road, have the below issue I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction, I'm currently thinking it might be a bent fairing stay:

Excuse the mighty morphing power ranger lol, so the two bolts (yellow) are in their correct holes afaik, but the frame bolt (red) is about an inch off, also the fairing and tyre contact quite badly, headlight fully attached also.

When I remove the yellow bolts, and attach the frame bolt (red), the alignment on the yellow bolts looks like this:

But no more tyre contacting in this position also which is nice! You can also kind of see in the first pic the engine/gbox cover don't really align with the fairing properly so definitely slightly off somehow.

Now the bike has had replacement: frame, forks, upper and lower tree clamps plus headlight and this issue has persisted the entire time, so my next port of call is maybe fairing stay? (fairings are oem also not Chinese)

Am I just being thick and fitting something wrong?

I have a video also but not all that sure how to upload it lol.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Woah bro, that's tripping me out. I feel like the plastics need to be shifted back, but then you'd be contacting the rear tire.

I just measured the horizontal distances between my bottom plastic and the tires. About 1" in the front and about 2" in the back. Total about 3 inches.

Give yours a measure. If it's shorter, it would appear the accident your bike was in has shortened the wheelbase. Might have bigger problems than mounting locations. But hey, you can tell people it's one of a kind!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeha man it's wrecking my head, they also need to go higher which would make the problem worse!

Il give them a measure man much appreciated, the frame has been replaced though, so the accident it was in shouldn't matter ( I guess).

Might gave the wheelbase a measure, but not really sure what else I could replace to affect it, don't want to have to put another frame on her!!!

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,253 Posts
Did you test the forks for straightness before installing them? Put a jack under the engine just to take a little weight off the front tire. Loosen all the pinch bolts on one side of the triple clamp. Leave the wheel and axle tightened. You should be able to spin the fork tube on that side 360 degrees without it binding. Tighten up that side and repeat on the other.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Woah bro, that's tripping me out. I feel like the plastics need to be shifted back, but then you'd be contacting the rear tire.

I just measured the horizontal distances between my bottom plastic and the tires. About 1" in the front and about 2" in the back. Total about 3 inches.

Give yours a measure. If it's shorter, it would appear the accident your bike was in has shortened the wheelbase. Might have bigger problems than mounting locations. But hey, you can tell people it's one of a kind!
Any chance you (or someone) could measure the rough distance from the nearest edge of the front tyre to the nearest edge of rear? My fronts are 120/70 if that matters

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was able to measure from the front of the front axle, to the front of the mounting point for the stand for the rear wheel. Measuring tape was pretty straight, got exactly 53". Took a picture for reference.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you test the forks for straightness before installing them? Put a jack under the engine just to take a little weight off the front tire. Loosen all the pinch bolts on one side of the triple clamp. Leave the wheel and axle tightened. You should be able to spin the fork tube on that side 360 degrees without it binding. Tighten up that side and repeat on the other.
Thanks for the idea man, I'm going upto the shed today so going to try this, when I was installing the forks I did have to tap them into place with a rubber mallet, they didn't just 'slot' in loosely...

I was able to measure from the front of the front axle, to the front of the mounting point for the stand for the rear wheel. Measuring tape was pretty straight, got exactly 53". Took a picture for reference.

View attachment 377110
Really appreciate you doing this measure for me! Really don't want it to be my wheelbase :(

When I was installing the triple tree, the bikes front end was loaded on a stand, not sure if that would cause any problems etc

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
I thought it was a second generation fairing on a first generation bike??

·
Registered
19 Posts
That was my first thought too, but his plastics look like mine. Idk if the second gen plastics are similar though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When you guys are saying first gen vs second gen, is there two gens of 5eb? Because the blue fairings are from a 1999 5eb but the bike is an early 2003 5eb? (I know they stopped in 02)

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Someone else will need to confirm an answer to that question.
Looks like 5EB is '99 while 5SL is '03..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thought it was a second generation fairing on a first generation bike??
Someone else will need to confirm an answer to that question.
Looks like 5EB is '99 while 5SL is '03..
With you now, I know my bike says 2003 but it is 100% 5eb, its Jan 2003 so just a late register, fairings are deff off a 5eb too :unsure:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ah, I don't know the specifics unfortunately, but I believe there are small frame differences between the 1999/2000s and the 2001/2002s. Looking at plastic kits, they all say "fits 1999-2002", so I would assume it shouldn't affect fitment.

Unless I'm going crazy, your bike is a first gen (1999-2002), I'm pretty sure those 1999 plastics should fit.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ah, I don't know the specifics unfortunately, but I believe there are small frame differences between the 1999/2000s and the 2001/2002s. Looking at plastic kits, they all say "fits 1999-2002", so I would assume it shouldn't affect fitment.
Yeah that's what I thought, know there are some differences, better headstock some frame changes etc but don't think the fairings changed, have a slightly damaged 02 lower so can try test fitting that see if it makes any difference, not hopeful lol

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey guys update from the bike today,

Loosened off the triple clamps etc and both forks spin very freely inside them so don't think there's a bend?

Checked the fork height while I was at it and the bottom of the cap is about 25mm from the triple tree, but I have the 120/70 tyres so should the forks be even higher again? Could this be my clearance issue?

Also checked wheelbase (kind of) based on the 53" measurement above, my bike measures in at about 52" without fairings and just a hair over 53" with full fairings so I don't think the wheelbase is overly short either?

Not really sure what else I can check :poop:

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,253 Posts
1st, if you can spin each fork, they aren’t bent, so that’s off the list.
2nd, 25mm is way too much. The difference between a 60 and 70 series tire is about 12mm in diameter, and you only compensate for the distance from the axle, down. So, on average about 6-7mm. Usually not more than 10mm. (This is measured from the parting line between the fork cap and tube)
Third, how, or why, is your wheelbase different with and without fairings? Since there is no adjustment on the steering head for rake/trail, the only thing that you can do to adjust wheelbase on these is the position of the rear axle in the chain adjustment slot and the fort height will affect the wb slightly.

So, the upper fairing stay may be the most probable culprit for your fairing misalignment. You probably need to be sure it isn’t bent.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1st, if you can spin each fork, they aren’t bent, so that’s off the list.
2nd, 25mm is way too much. The difference between a 60 and 70 series tire is about 12mm in diameter, and you only compensate for the distance from the axle, down. So, on average about 6-7mm. Usually not more than 10mm. (This is measured from the parting line between the fork cap and tube)
Third, how, or why, is your wheelbase different with and without fairings? Since there is no adjustment on the steering head for rake/trail, the only thing that you can do to adjust wheelbase on these is the position of the rear axle in the chain adjustment slot and the fort height will affect the wb slightly.

So, the upper fairing stay may be the most probable culprit for your fairing misalignment. You probably need to be sure it isn’t bent.
2: am i not correct in saying it should be 27mm as standard from the yoke to the break in the cap?

3: Sorry i should have clarified here, its slightly longer because the fairings force a bit of a bend into the measuring tape, i did it with and without just because the guy above measured his with fairings on!

I dont really suspect the top stay anymore, i fitted the lowers on their own today and they still contact the tyre, im starting to worry i have a bend in my frame somewhere which is a real kick in the teeth !

Im not sure how accurate trying to measure from the rear paddock stand mount to the front fork actually is, i found a measurement on the forum that it should be exactly 857mm from the swingarm pivot bolt to the front axle so might try that tomorrow. But past that im really not sure what else to check!

so to summarise, with only the four bottom bolts in the lowers and no other fairing on, the front tyre still contacts, so as far as i understand, either my fairings are very distorted or my frame is bent :cry:

Thoughts? Anything im missing? could the lower triple clamp be throwing it off maybe?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
2: am i not correct in saying it should be 27mm as standard from the yoke to the break in the cap?

3: Sorry i should have clarified here, its slightly longer because the fairings force a bit of a bend into the measuring tape, i did it with and without just because the guy above measured his with fairings on!

I dont really suspect the top stay anymore, i fitted the lowers on their own today and they still contact the tyre, im starting to worry i have a bend in my frame somewhere which is a real kick in the teeth !

Im not sure how accurate trying to measure from the rear paddock stand mount to the front fork actually is, i found a measurement on the forum that it should be exactly 857mm from the swingarm pivot bolt to the front axle so might try that tomorrow. But past that im really not sure what else to check!

so to summarise, with only the four bottom bolts in the lowers and no other fairing on, the front tyre still contacts, so as far as i understand, either my fairings are very distorted or my frame is bent :cry:

Thoughts? Anything im missing? could the lower triple clamp be throwing it off maybe?
Also just to add, i have seen this frame completely bare and there where no obvious cracks/bends in it, and everything has bolted up to it perfectly ( probably doesnt make much odds)

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,253 Posts
Standard fork height is the top of the fork tube (the split line between the tube and cap) flush with the top of the handle bar.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Standard fork height is the top of the fork tube (the split line between the tube and cap) flush with the top of the handle bar. View attachment 377150
Ah gotcha thats quite handy actually, fair easier than measuring! mine are pretty close to this, might need to bring them down slightly.

Will only make wheel clearance worse as i bring the center of the wheel further down though, so not looking good for the little r6.

Obviously could modify the fairings, but if theres a frame issue thats just asking for trouble i suppose, be interested to see if the forks are the correct distance from the swingarm pivot though

1 - 20 of 31 Posts