Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,311 Posts
I don’t think your frame is bent. If you compare your pics to other 2002 r6 photos. Something isn’t right with your fairing mount points. The hole in the lower should line up pretty close to the oil pump cover on the engine. It looks like the whole fairing needs to rotate clockwise slightly.

Do you have the fairing brackets that mount to the bottom of the engine on the right side? That may shift the front lower bolt rearward and line up the upper and front lower bolts. Then the rear bolt might go in with a slight flex of the fairing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I don’t think your frame is bent. If you compare your pics to other 2002 r6 photos. Something isn’t right with your fairing mount points. The hole in the lower should line up pretty close to the oil pump cover on the engine. It looks like the whole fairing needs to rotate clockwise slightly.

Do you have the fairing brackets that mount to the bottom of the engine on the right side? That may shift the front lower bolt rearward and line up the upper and front lower bolts. Then the rear bolt might go in with a slight flex of the fairing.
Yeah i get what your saying man, i can pull it into place with a big flex (when i only have the lowers on) so that the oil pump lines up reasonably well but still touches the tire.

I wish it was as simple as the mounts being reversed but i never removed them from the block in the frame swap so not sure how likely that would be? unless the fairings are a copy or have gotten distorted?

thanks for all your help so far dude!

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,311 Posts
Yeah i get what your saying man, i can pull it into place with a big flex (when i only have the lowers on) so that the oil pump lines up reasonably well but still touches the tire.

I wish it was as simple as the mounts being reversed but i never removed them from the block in the frame swap so not sure how likely that would be? unless the fairings are a copy or have gotten distorted?

thanks for all your help so far dude!
If I recall, the front lower bolt brackets are bolted to the engine oil pan. No? Those are the ones I am talking about.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
If I recall, the front lower brackets are bolted to the engine oil pan. No? Those are the ones I am talking about.
Yeah you're 100% correct, never moved them though.

It's possible they got bent up higher when I was working with the engine (off the frame) though, mine are currently right angle shaped, been trying to find a decent photo for comparison, might try bending them downward see if it helps pull the front of the lower away from the wheel possibly!

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,311 Posts
I think yours needs to go back and up. See attached and compare the locations

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I think yours needs to go back and up. See attached and compare the locations View attachment 377151 View attachment 377152
I agree it needs to go up, but the higher you pull that lower fairing, the worse the wheel contact will be no? i.e:

For a second there i thought maybe my engine was mounted a bit too high? not really sure that would be possible but it would fix all problems, dropping the lower fairing and bringing the oil pump cover down too, although the gasket beside the swingarm pivot looks identical to the reference picture so not very likely....

i did notice my fairings arent flat at the bottom but the reference image is, and looks like the wheel arch has less of a curve?
VS

Something really seems waaay off...

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,311 Posts
Look at the window vent hole in the frame. Basically the whole fairing needs to ROTATE clockwise. Also, one reason the bottom of yours isn’t parallel to the ground is you have the forks slid too high in the clamps. This puts the bike nose down. And I also still think your fairing brackets are bent or out of place on the oil pan.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Figured I would wait
Look at the window vent hole in the frame. Basically the whole fairing needs to ROTATE clockwise. Also, one reason the bottom of yours isn’t parallel to the ground is you have the forks slid too high in the clamps. This puts the bike nose down. And I also still think your fairing brackets are bent or out of place on the oil pan.
Figured I would wait until I was at the bike to confirm! This is the state of the forks, pretty close to spec I think? Right side is a little high so will need adjusted.

Double checked the fairing mounts and adjusted slightly, still getting contact though, I measured from the swing arm pivot to the front axle which should be 856.7mm (as per a computrax forum post) and I've consistently got mine at around 840mm, bare in mind I'm using a tape measure so not ideal with engine etc in the way too.

Can anyone confirm the distance between the largest part of their tyre and their header pipes? I'm getting about 70mm, not sure if this is high or low.

Feels like bad news so far

Attachments

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,311 Posts
Forks and top triple look right

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Forks and top triple look right
unfortunately.... i have a friend with an r6 who might let me try his forks and triple tree, just incase the headstock/bearings are slightly off or something? im just grasping at straws now and hoping its not a frame issue, I dont want to have to rebuild the whole bleeding bike again!

I wonder if anyone can advise on something else, i had put replacement shocks/tree onto this bike, the lower clamp that i took off had a 'chamfered' bearing insert(stock), but the one i have replaced it with is just a solid cylinder, i know this was a difference between the early and late 5eb's, is there anyway i need the chamfered lower clamp and thats what is causing my rake issue?

One that i took off the bike:

The replacement that went on:

21 - 31 of 31 Posts