Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Will work for parts...
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As noted im fairly tall and lean... The lean part not being an issue, but Being tall... Is this putting me at a big disadvantage while riding? Especially at the track?

I feel like i REALLY hang off the bike a lot... sometimes i worry that its too much. Im wondering if some of this is just due to my height... anyone have any input? Or have any advice for a taller rider?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think it's all in your head buddy. If anything else, it would be easier to knee drag on the NJMP. I went there last Wed. & I found the control rider telling me to lean more & pick up speed.... & I thought I was doing pretty good. Have yourself photographed or video-ed. Pix don't lie & you can evaluate yourself.
BTW: I'm 5'8" & 160lbs & I can use a couple of inches as I'm on my toes when I'm on the bike at a stop light :-(

·
Registered
540 Posts
You will feel a little cramped on the 6 but that is it... I am 6'2 and weigh 190 and dont have an issue and my friend James is 6'4 and he is much faster than I am. You havent even begun to explore the limits that your height might place on you and you most likely never will. Dont worry about it

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm 6'2 205, extremely lean as well. I typically (to make up for the cramped feeling) ride in some Puma shoes with very thin soles

http://www.journeys.com/catalog_detail.aspx?c=vendors&s=guys/Puma&id=68943

The thing is I used to ride in my SHOX or some flat, thicker-soled ADIDAS but I found that my knees would be slightly cramped. Wearing the thinner-soled PUMAS when I ride gives me an extra inch or so, which is all I seem to need to remain comfortable :)

·
wat?
722 Posts
I'm 6'2 205, extremely lean as well. I typically (to make up for the cramped feeling) ride in some Puma shoes with very thin soles

http://www.journeys.com/catalog_detail.aspx?c=vendors&s=guys/Puma&id=68943

The thing is I used to ride in my SHOX or some flat, thicker-soled ADIDAS but I found that my knees would be slightly cramped. Wearing the thinner-soled PUMAS when I ride gives me an extra inch or so, which is all I seem to need to remain comfortable :)
I bet they awesome protection in a crash too... :sing

As for the OP, height doesn't offer any inherent disadvantage outside of comfort and perhaps being able to tuck behind the bubble. Weight is the issue since it tends to go hand in hand with height... but at 185, you're hardly heavy.

And as for it being easier to knee drag... that's actually a bad thing. You have to keep that in mind mentally that at your height you can drag knee with the bike vertical and adjust accordingly :*tongue

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yeah, they don't provide the best crash protection - but I'm doing my absolutely damndest NOT to lay it down :D

I am yet to take my bike to a track yet - I'm too broke and I wont go without a race suit. Guess what's on catfsh's Christmas list? :D

·
Will work for parts...
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bet they awesome protection in a crash too... :sing

As for the OP, height doesn't offer any inherent disadvantage outside of comfort and perhaps being able to tuck behind the bubble. Weight is the issue since it tends to go hand in hand with height... but at 185, you're hardly heavy.

And as for it being easier to knee drag... that's actually a bad thing. You have to keep that in mind mentally that at your height you can drag knee with the bike vertical and adjust accordingly :*tongue
HAHA... yeah i'll drag my knees on the straights... just cause i can.

Yeah i mean, im not a freak of nature in terms of height, but i Just wondered if i need to be mindful and ride in a certain way to compensate for it. I will say, my friends have noticed if i get my weight off the bike i can keep turns pretty tight and still have the bike fairly upright...

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
Yeah, they don't provide the best crash protection - but I'm doing my absolutely damndest NOT to lay it down :D

I am yet to take my bike to a track yet - I'm too broke and I wont go without a race suit. Guess what's on catfsh's Christmas list? :D
do you live in Cincinnati?(west Chester) I seen a guy at a traffic light today with a black R6 no stickers and looked freshly painted.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Nah, it isn't even black :/

If you're a car guy, the 2000 to 2002 Trans AM ws.6 came in what is called "Navy Blue Metallic" which, depending on what lighting conditions you have it looks anywhere from blue, to sparkly royal blue, to a very matte navy at night or under cloudy conditions... this is what the color ACTUALLY looks like :nocontrol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts