Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So any place I call to ask for just an oil change they quote me 60 bucks or so and then ask me how many miles on the bike. As soon as i say 500/600 they say oh then you need a full maintaince done to the bike which costs form 265 + parts to 295 + parts. I am so confused with this. Also i thouhg it was like a car, you drop it off and wait and get it back. Most places keep the bike for 2 or 3 days. WTF how long does it take to change oil in these things? Also this 265+ parts sounds like i am paying for the oil change and then just handing someone 265 dollars for nothing. Once again do these bikes really break that fast that they need to be adjusted all the time? I cant see why they say only 1 time. If after 500 miles stuff is messed up then i assume every 500 u need this tuneup....please help

·
R is for respect!
1,623 Posts
its a waste of money and another way for the dealer to make money.all you need to do is change the oil & filter and clean & lube the chain and check the adjustment.if you ask them what exactly they do i bet they cant give you a straight answer.they will probably say adjust the valves and blah blah blah. its b.s

·
I stall my R6
148 Posts
Had my dealer do my 600 mile service. It was 216 dollars. Made an appointment and waited for it to be done. Took about 30 minutes for the bike to cool down. Then about one hour for the service to be completed.

I will do the 4000 mile service myself. Wanted the 600 mile service done just to make sure there were no issues with the break in period.

It's up to you and not hard to do. Also I got the extended service plan on the R6 so wanted to make sure I have all my service records.

Plans are to sell the bike in two years to upgrade to a liter bike or make the move to a cruiser. The R6 could end up being my last sportbike. Getting a little to old to be running around on sportbikes. :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, i figure i would just ask this one more time...and yea i did ask them what they do and they said we adjust the valves and me check the clutch...well cltuch seems fine to me..what else could there be you know...what a ripoff man!!! Im doing oil change and filter and then i dont care...besides im getting rid of the bike next season..prob in the beggining and getting a new one..i got this one for such a good deal that it puts me in a position to do so without loosing to much.

·
I ride bitches year round
1,834 Posts
Just change the oil and do the maintenance yourself. A filter is like 7 dollars and you only need to buy 3 quarts of yamahalube...Good luck, ride safe!

·
I stall my R6
148 Posts
The 08 R6 doesn't need the valves adjusted until 25K or 26K miles. If they are saying the do that at 600 miles they are full of it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The 08 R6 doesn't need the valves adjusted until 25K or 26K miles. If they are saying the do that at 600 miles they are full of it.

True that. I just had mine done at Yahama. cost me $150. Either way, what ever they did, the bike feels like it rides alot better/smoother.

Unless not having it for a few days made me forgot :eek5

Either way, I did it, and Im glad I did, just as Keebee said.

·
Super MOD
4,915 Posts
True that. I just had mine done at Yahama. cost me $150. Either way, what ever they did, the bike feels like it rides alot better/smoother.

Unless not having it for a few days made me forgot :eek5

Either way, I did it, and Im glad I did, just as Keebee said.
fresh oil and a clean air filter always makes the bike feel like it runs smoother

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had one expeiernece with valves....it was on my 95 integra...i bought it used..did a lot fo work to the car and it ran perfect...65k and they said do it..i had them adjust the valves and the efing car started backfiring...ran all wierd...I just hated it..i took it back and they said ..its all done according to specs..and that was that...so i snapped and sold the car..i would hate for that to happen with the bike..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts