Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday i hit the 600 mile mark after about 100 miles of riding the bike. Twards the end of the day, i the bike sounded like pieces were going to come out of it...like it sounded all loose and out of adjustment. My guess is because of all the riding i did that day. Anyone else know what im taking about? It just sounded like it was seriously struggling...The engine sounded like it had pebbles in it and when i would start riding and give gas they sounded like they were just scrambling all over the place. Not sure if this is normal or not.

·
I stall my R6
148 Posts
Hit 600 on mine a couple of Saturdays ago. Didn't sound anything like that you need to take it in get it checked out. Over the weekend I hit 1100 miles on mine. :) Going to give it a few days rest been riding it everyday for the last 2 weeks.

But riding it to work Wed and Friday this week. :p So will have 1200 miles on it soon enough.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh no im not worried...i actually think its from the bike being ridden hard and then a lot of stop and go and then a lot of hard riding...Lots of load on the motor.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You know, i dont think i have done to the manual specs...I just rode the bike like i wanted to. I redlined a few times and pretty much didnt care to much about the break in. Maybe thats why it was sounding all goody yesterday...i guess it doesnt matter now..

·
.em stae 6R yM
86 Posts
you need to take it in for 1st service anyway at this point, they probably have to tighten a few things that came loose.

My friend's new Triumph had a lose triple tree when he took it in for 1st service.

·
I ride bitches year round
1,834 Posts
You know, i dont think i have done to the manual specs...I just rode the bike like i wanted to. I redlined a few times and pretty much didnt care to much about the break in. Maybe thats why it was sounding all goody yesterday...i guess it doesnt matter now..
I believe proper break in requires you to keep the RPM's below 6,000 during the first 600 miles, and below 9,000 from then until you hit 1000 miles. This is important not only for the engine but I believe the wet clutch needs to be properly broke in as well.

Some people say a 'hard break in' is better and there are even articles and studies that claim to 'prove' that it is. I personally follow the manual because it is after all their engine and they have spent a lot of money testing and developing it.

I would say the most important part of the break in is not keeping the RPM's low but rather making sure you vary the RPM's a lot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.