Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok....

I have recently gone from a YZF 600r (1998) to a 2004 R6....
The performance difference is HUGE....acceleration, handling...etc.

would there be Huge difference respectively going from a R6 to an R1??

I am assuming yes...but thought I would just ask...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,021 Posts
ckmerc said:
ok....

I have recently gone from a YZF 600r (1998) to a 2004 R6....
The performance difference is HUGE....acceleration, handling...etc.

would there be Huge difference respectively going from a R6 to an R1??

I am assuming yes...but thought I would just ask...
well lets do some math and see.

R6-105HP and about 360 pds(i think)

R1-180HP and about 380 pds

yes theres a huge difference :cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
712 Posts
Hell yeah there's a difference!!! The 04 R6 is pushing out just over 100horses, 105 or 110 maybe 115, and the new 04 r1's are cranking 180 right off the showroom floor! On my r6 i can rip the throttle and get the front wheel to come up a little...my cousin has an r1 and if you rip the throttle on that puppy your front wheel is up above your head!!! So there is a substantial difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
My buddy just picked up his 04 R1 on Tuesday and it is one bad machine. You ever watch two guys going down a road, one guy pulls up the front wheel and walks away from the other. Well here is my experience at lunch and keep in mind that the new R1 is being limited to under 7k for break in. Buddy has 02 R1 going about 45 to 50 with new 04 right beside. I am right be hind on my 04 R6 in fifth gear. 04 R1 is in 2nd (yes second gear under 7k at 50 it has some crazy gears). 02 takes off on one wheel 04 stays right with and passes shifting gears below 7k. I hammer it in fifth gear and am just keeping up. The 02 is fast, the 04 is crazy. My R6 is plenty for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,055 Posts
i suggest that only very experienced riders or very inexperienced dumbasses attain an R1. Those are some awesome, awesome machines.
there is no comparison from an R6 to an R1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
Hey Dman... you should try some downshifting to keep up.. dont think you are going to keep up at your low rpm's in fifth gear... And yes it would be a huge difference going from an r6 to r1. BUT why would you want to do that? R6 owns the r1 in the twisties and how often are you gonna be matched up with the r1 in the straight? going straight is no fun :worship
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
understand....but

I know the hp difference...but I was really referring to the handling and manuverability of the bikes.......

on thoes points...they appear to be evenly matched...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
953 Posts
the only difference between the r6 and r1 is the engine size. besides the obvious changes to fit a larger engine. redline on a r6 is higher then a r1 as well. but to not get all picky and go into detail...

both the r6 and r1 have supurb handling and are comfortable. awesome bikes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
The 04 R1 should only be ridden by those that have reached a Nirvana level of motorcycle riding. No kidding. The new R1 will do 106mph in 1st gear! My question is why do you need 6 gears on that bike? And how do you keep the front wheel on the ground coming out of corner?

I just know my R6 is more bike than I will ever need/use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
953 Posts
ECM said:
The 04 R1 should only be ridden by those that have reached a Nirvana level of motorcycle riding. No kidding. The new R1 will do 106mph in 1st gear! My question is why do you need 6 gears on that bike? And how do you keep the front wheel on the ground coming out of corner?

I just know my R6 is more bike than I will ever need/use.
- how do you keep the front wheel on the ground out of corners? you clutch like a mother ******. then pop one after the turn.

- why does it need 6 gears? why do you need a bike that can do 175mph because it's damn awesome and when used in appropriate areas *cough* track *cough* it's a lot of fun and hp put to good use.

ride on! :jump
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
ECM wrote:
The 04 R1 should only be ridden by those that have reached a Nirvana level of motorcycle riding. No kidding. The new R1 will do 106mph in 1st gear! My question is why do you need 6 gears on that bike? And how do you keep the front wheel on the ground coming out of corner? [/quote]

It's called throttle control!! Knowing when to say when with the right hand!! Throttle control is what makes you cool or look like a fool!! I've seen many a fool end up on their head because of the famed "I been ridin' for years I can handle it!!" As I pass them mid-corner on our stock sv-650 race bike!!! Heh Heh Heh!! Wish we could race an R6!! Maybe next year! :drink Oh yea!! I know yamaha claims 180 hp in the R1 but lets be realistic! Hell No!! Check it!

http://www.sportrider.com/features/146_0406_r1_dyno/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
get the facts straight before posting a link, yamaha claims 180 at the crank for the R1 and 120 at the crank for the R6. Do the math, even with the low #s the sportrider dyno has for the R1, that still amounts to 180hp at the crank. :poke
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Uhhhh I did the math!! My only point is what it puts down!! I know the drivetrain loss is around 12%. With out a doubt in my mind the numbers are most impressive for a streetbike!! I just find it odd how much more power yamaha claims to have at the crank than everyone else, but I just know that what it puts down to the ground is what matters! So yes for your convienence next time I'll will make myself clear so we can all be perfect like you!! :mrgreen:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,021 Posts
pntbutta said:
Uhhhh I did the math!! My only point is what it puts down!! I know the drivetrain loss is around 12%. With out a doubt in my mind the numbers are most impressive for a streetbike!! I just find it odd how much more power yamaha claims to have at the crank than everyone else, but I just know that what it puts down to the ground is what matters! So yes for your convienence next time I'll will make myself clear so we can all be perfect like you!! :mrgreen:
actually kawi is claimin 184 at the crank for the zx-10r, so its supposed to be the highest in the HP area.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
It "only" put down like 161 or 162 I think!! They are mother freakin! fast too! I want to see a Zx and an R1 go at it!! I think that will be pretty entertaining!!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,021 Posts
pntbutta said:
It "only" put down like 161 or 162 I think!! They are mother freakin! fast too! I want to see a Zx and an R1 go at it!! I think that will be pretty entertaining!!
i agree i want to see em head to head also. :mrgreen:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
next time I'll will make myself clear so we can all be perfect like you!!
you're damn right you will lol :cheers

anyway, from some shops and friends that I know that have dynoed these new bikes and ran them at the tracks, Kawi has been sending "ringers" to test magazines with hand polished heads and ports. when one of the moderators of R1-forum.com picked up 2 kawis and 1 R1 and dynoed them back to back what was found was that the kawi had 5 less hp than the R1 and that in fact the heads on his bike were not polished. Kinda shady if you ask me. He is waiting for the arrival of his second R1 and he is going to dyno the bikes all on the same day and get #s from 4 different bikes. Its so much fun racing on paper :mrgreen:
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top