Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is John Karanja, I live in Nairobi capital in Kenya, I instantly fell in love with the Yamaha R6 since the first time I saw it, a 2007 wine red and black Yamaha r6 back in December 2011. I instantly knew I wanted one, I was in college and it would have been perfect for commuting to school and also ride to be with my family in (188kms away) upcountry every other weekend. Its been 8 years and the dream is drifting further and further away, between tuition fees, rent and daily expenditure I barely managed to save enough to get a decent helmet. I am adamant about getting the bike but the reality on the ground speaks a different language. Anyone else endured a tough journey to get the bike of their dream with a happy ending? it could really encourage a brother to hold on.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
362 Posts
I had to buy mine brand new. Every month when I get to pay the bank and the full coverage insurance I am saddened. However for myself, new is worth the struggle since I know how the motorcycle has been treated it's entire life. I don't know how the economy is in your country, but keep at saving and eventually it will happen. By the way your English is better then most of my native born neighbors.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your encouragement @mordantly, if it's of any consolation, I am sure the sad feeling during payments quickly dissipates when you get on your bike and feel the power of the throttle and the independence of the bike. I'll hold on. Thanks, I wrote part-time in college to help with bills.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
362 Posts
Yes every wash and wax we are getting more aquanted indeed. Pride of ownership means keeping nice things nice. The reward is the endless fun riding.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
362 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sweet ride...I love the 2007 r6 but you cant bring in anything below 2013 into the country. 2013 R6 will have to suffice truth is I am drawn to the older models

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
362 Posts
Emissions reasons? Can you get good quality 91 octane/ 95 ron there?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We get octane 95 ron here...quite honestly I havent factored in emissions, I fugured I would get one in pristine condition.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I also feel that price-wise, lower models will fit a more realistic and attainable budget...

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
362 Posts
Why can't you import 2012 or older? California has the worst emissions nazis even more then the euro5 that my 17 complies with yet I can have any year I want.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Government regulations, in Kenya any automobile imported must be less than 8 years old from the year of first registration.

I think the government means well before this regulation some people took advantage and profited from importing old beat down, unroadworthy vehicles which surprisingly found a market. About 85% of the automobiles used in Kenya are internationally sourced used cars, the rest are new imports (showroom) targeting a higher class and then there are locally assembled ones.

Rumors have it that the government is looking to change the 8-year regulation to five years to boost the domestic automotive sector by reducing the dominance of the used car market.

As it is, importing automobiles here is very expensive because of import duty, excise duty, value-added tax, import declaration, railway development levy, and registration which when combined almost matches the value/cost of the automobile before import.

That's why I would go for a 2013 instead of a 2017 or 2020, that and the fact that I love the sleek look of the older models. The cost of purchase combined with the duties, taxes, and time makes any year bike to cost almost twice as much getting it into the country.

The fact that you can get any year you want as long as it complies with the emissions standards is some of the little blessings we don't see cause they seem obvious. I think it would be a little easier for me to acquire one living in California compared to here.

People who own bikes here are not willing to part with, so getting one locally which is the easiest option is near impossible. We have a site like craigslist but smaller called JIJI, and in the last two years, only two R6's have been posted. One was a fraud and the other (black 2012) has technical issues (he thinks engine) and won't start, the owner is selling it on an as-is basis. It makes for a good project but with Supersports slowly becoming a growing breed its difficult finding established mechanic to guide the project.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
362 Posts
Oh wow. Most educational. All but one of my motorcycles and all of my cars would have to be smuggled in.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
362 Posts
1967 through 2003 models. All obscure "gems" but a few are really rare. Don't think jay leno collection here. Restoring the best ones but slow going finding 40 year old oem parts.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Been a lloonngg road here too. I've always been into two wheels... the non-motorized kind. Used to cycle all over much of the city and sometimes even on the other side of the river. Had been wanting a motorcycle since probably early to mid 2000s. I'm not the lustful type, but it was a photo, similar to this, that really captivated my eye... really made me drool...

But I couldn't justify the expenditure for what I was pulling down back then. I only bought outright and didn't rely on credit or loans. I've always been a saver and always hated borrowing money (and didn't). If I couldn't afford it outright with at least double what I was paying left in the coffers, I didn't feel comfortable buying it. So, I waited and waited.

Fast forward about a decade where I was in a comfortable position to splurge. So, I began hunting for a Yamaha YZF-R6. I thought it was strange that I couldn't find one with hard bags already on it, but figured I'd add them after the fact.

After about a month, I had a couple of choices... one was two hours North. Called, arranged a meeting. I was planning on riding it back home. (never having ridden a motorized two-wheeler before) My Brother rode me up there. Checked it out, got a ten minute riding lesson from the seller, exchanged title for cashier's check; on my own. Holy mackerel was that a twitchy throttle! Breath on it and the bike wants to run-off with you. On top of that, was getting used to the clutch, which require some GRIPPERZ to hold in. After less than an hour of riding around the neighborhood, half lost, it was getting later; might be dark by the time I reached home-city. Wised up and decided to leave the bike with an Uncle who happened to live in town. I'd come back with a trailer next weekend. On the way to the Uncle's I hit my first left turn and went www-iiiiiii-ddd-eee right like a Mayor Mallory pitch. Went all up in the grass and on the sidewalk and everything; probably hilarious to watch, scary for me. Stopped for gas and it probably took me a good five minutes to figure out why it "stalled" the nanosecond I shifted into first. :rolleyes: (also found it it didn't like Circle K fuel)

I love it. Even though been a year-round rider for over six years, I'm still as attached as I ever was. It's not the FJR motorcycle that originally caught my eye way back when, but have no regrets about the mistake. The acceleration and maneuverability of the YZF is a-m-a-z-i-n-g-l-y fun. At the time it was verifiably gear-limited to 167MPH top speed, and you can almost touch the turn sig to pavement without scraping the pedals. Just a well refined multi-generational master piece.

I too prefer the quad-light look of the older models. I also favor the bike's size. It sits higher, and is top-heavy. Tricky for lower-speed maneuvering, but otherwise makes for nice handling. Not only that, did I mentione the size? Higher saddle than the other bikes I sat on at the time. The newest ones are smaller... and I chuckle every time when thinking about someone commenting about the "monkey on a football" look of big or tall folk on small bikes.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
362 Posts
Yeah the lack of comfort is my only complaint about my $13k purchase.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@Intuit wasn't yours quite a journey...the close shave on your first ride, that must have been scary. I can almost picture how determined you were to ride the bike back home. I see myself doing that, riding back home after buying my bike, I just don't see how I can contain my excitement after a decade of waiting. I love the idea of outright buying, borrowing could get things very complicated especially here, it's also a very difficult option to pursue. It's encouraging to hear a journey with a happy ending, I feel encouraged to hold on to my dream, thanks guys.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts