Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased the bike last year and noticed an issue with my headlights in which they would randomly brighter up then dim again. The headlights were not stock they were dual 4" headlights. Well they light output sucked so I picked up a headlight from an 04 gsxr. It has an H7 on top and an H4 on the bottom. I hooked it up and again the light was pretty dim so I decided to install sylvania bulbs one H4 and one H7. I installed them two days ago was riding and all of a sudden the top bulb just went out completely. Then I started it this morning the bottom bulb flickered and boom dead!

I took a voltage meter to the wiring and noticed that randomly the voltage to my headlight bulbs jumped from 12/14 volts to 20 then dipped back down and up again randomly explaining why i noticed the bulbs dim and get brighter while riding. Well I believe this blew out my bulbs as I can not get them on what so ever anymore even outside the bike with a dc power supply. So I am curious what you guys htink may be causing the headlight to get random 20 volt surges. I can not go through bulbs every week.

Could this be the voltage regulator? Could this be the stator? The battery sits at 14 volts when the bike is off and on so the voltage to the battery seems fine. Any help would be appreciated guys as I can not use the bike untill I get the headlights configured. Not to mention i spent $50 on bulbs and poof they are gone just like that.

Thanks in advance

ps heres a pic of the headlight so you get an idea

·
Registered
469 Posts
Sounds like the symptoms of a failing regulator/rectifier. Are other bulbs burning out? Are the voltages at other areas of the bike fluctuating? Or only the headlights? Since you don't have oem headlights, if no other bulbs are burning out, I would guess it has something to do with the headlights??

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
all other bulbs are led's which take no current at all and have resistors on them... but the old bulbs did the same thing yes before i changed to led's so I believe it prob is the regulator/rectifier anyone know if a place to get one pretty cheap?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts