Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I have a Blue '99 R6 with a Black Double Bubble wind shield, and a Micron Can. That is all in terms of Modifications. It has only done 13000 miles and I want to start adding things to increase performance and looks.
I am fairly new at this and was wandering what sort of things you would add to it?

Thanks in advance!:toocool:

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
01-02 undertail:fact

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
You can always put on a full system exhaust, bmc air filter and jet the carbs to get a little more performance out of it. Otherwise, there is tons of stuff you can do from levers to rearsets, sprockets, stickers :laugh
A lot of people recommend the OEM filter over the aftermarket. A jet kit would be a good idea, and a 520 kit with different sprockets like -1/+1. When I did the jet kit, shorty exhaust, and 520 kit the bike was way faster and more awesome all together. I also did velocity stacks.

01-02 undertail:fact
This is crucial imho

HID lights are a must have too.

But as far as performance, the 520 kit and re-jet goes a long way

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
A lot of people recommend the OEM filter over the aftermarket. A jet kit would be a good idea, and a 520 kit with different sprockets like -1/+1. When I did the jet kit, shorty exhaust, and 520 kit the bike was way faster and more awesome all together. I also did velocity stacks.

This is crucial imho

HID lights are a must have too.

But as far as performance, the 520 kit and re-jet goes a long way
also, the factory pro ignition advance and velocity stacks give you a little bump... and having a 49 stater is preferred to having a CA model:fact

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
also, the factory pro ignition advance and velocity stacks give you a little bump... and having a 49 stater is preferred to having a CA model:fact
+1000 on the 49 state model. The cali one has a lot of extra crap on it, and the carbs are a bit trickier with the springloaded needles, etc..

The damn factory pro ignition module has been backorderd for more than a year. I wanted one so damn bad. Last year the dude at factory pro told me their tool and die guy got a big order from smith & wesson and wasn't making anything anytime soon. I put myself on their list, which I believe to be imaginary

·
Live Fast
405 Posts
a MUST for 1st gens..

Performance:
520 Conversion
BMC Airfilter
Ivans Jet Kit

Appearance:
01-02 Undertail

other than that having comfy grips and after market levers are not a must but sure as hell make it a more enjoyable ride..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thankyou soo much for the help and advice everyone!

"also, the factory pro ignition advance and velocity stacks give you a little bump... and having a 49 stater is preferred to having a CA model"

Can I please ask what this means? I am still learning the lingo.

I guess I'll be getting the 01-02 undertail pretty sharpish then!
I need a new air filter, can I confirm which is better as there are mixed views here!

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Thankyou soo much for the help and advice everyone!

"also, the factory pro ignition advance and velocity stacks give you a little bump... and having a 49 stater is preferred to having a CA model"

Can I please ask what this means? I am still learning the lingo.

I guess I'll be getting the 01-02 undertail pretty sharpish then!
I need a new air filter, can I confirm which is better as there are mixed views here!
I was told by the guy at factory pro that this bike is better off with the stock air filter. Maybe that's just with his jet kit. There are several people who run aftermarket air filters and say it runs good. I was to understand that it creates a lot of turbulence, etc.. It can also make it harder to tune the carbs accurately. If I had all the time in the world I'd get one and work on my jetting and see what I could do. Maybe I will try it and settle this debate myself.

And the ignition advance module can't really be found anymore, but what it does is advance the ignition spark timing. This makes the spark plug spark sooner in the stroke which slams it down harder and makes more power. It also will require premium fuel after that mod. The velocity stacks are badass looking little megaphones that go on the carbs in place of the stock ones. They have better length and much better flow, and make the air and fuel rush into the carb with more velocity, which results in more horsepower.

Also how difficult is it to Re-Jet the Carbs? Can I do it at home or shall I take it somewhere?
It's not very hard to do. There's no special skills required or anything. But it is a pain in the ass. The allen head screws on the intake boots are very difficult to get to. The link in my sig has some pics of the screw locations, etc.. If you are decent mechanically, you can do it. You just have to take your time, keep your cool, and need to have common sense. You need to disconnect the throttle cables and re-adjust them, etc.. The tank and airbox have to come off, the carbs have lots of hosees to reconnect. It's easy but very in depth.

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Nice one. What flush mounts did you get for yours mate?
The ones I have came on the bike. They are kinda rigged up though. They look super old school. It looks like a carbon fiber oval they put over the factory hole and then there's what appears to be a universal type LED blinker on there. You can see it really good in all the videos I have on youtube.

By the way i am reading your 02 R6 Thread.
Love it.
Thanks!!!! It's my first bike, and I love it like crazy! I have some frame sliders and some other stuff I am gonna throw on the bike over the weekend. I'll be sure to update the thread! Thanks for checking it out!

·
Live Fast
405 Posts
It also will require premium fuel after that mod
ive never run anything but premium 92 always and most of the time 93. Doesnt the manual even say your suppose to run 'only premium'??

anyways, re-jetting can be tricky if you dont have time/patience and the mechanical knowledge.. i would suggest taking it somewhere and having it done, the last thing you want to have happen on your bike while your riding is something wrong with your fuel system... almost all shops should cover their work in case something happens and with professionals doing it right off that bat, its rare you will have a problem.

Honestly your first performance mod, and still my favorite performance mod, is the 520 conversion kit. Nice sprockets and a solid chain go a loooooong way

·
Registered
17 Posts
i just put a TON of money into my 02.

frame sliders
new bar ends
swingarm spools
stomp grip
pro grip tank pad
pazzo shorty levers
lockhart phillips tinted windscreen
pig spotter mirrors
dynojet jet kit stage 2
factory pro velocity stacks
K&N air filter
hard rock hr1 slip on exhaust
520 chain conversion, -1 +0 sprockets
lockhart phillips rear turn signals
proton running lights/side markers
pilot power 2cts!

before it went into the shop all i had done was the slip on and k&n. this thing is ridiculous now. not sure what else i could do performance wise, i think its maxed out for my ability. still have a slight electrical problem though, occasional crap start up. was thinking about HIDs, the lights are realllly dim on it, but gotta figure out what the electrical issue is first.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i wasnt really sure what kind of diff a 520 chain makes, other then it was needed for the -1 front sprocket. is anyone able to kind of put it in dummy terms?

·
It's pronounced "Tollz"
7,760 Posts
i wasnt really sure what kind of diff a 520 chain makes, other then it was needed for the -1 front sprocket. is anyone able to kind of put it in dummy terms?
520 is just the weight of the chain. The difference in the weights are negligible if you're keeping it on the streets. You don't "need" the 520 to run any sort of sprocket. You can get sprockets in the stock 525 (?) and be able to keep your same chain.

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
i just put a TON of money into my 02.

frame sliders
new bar ends
swingarm spools
stomp grip
pro grip tank pad
pazzo shorty levers
lockhart phillips tinted windscreen
pig spotter mirrors
dynojet jet kit stage 2
factory pro velocity stacks
K&N air filter
hard rock hr1 slip on exhaust
520 chain conversion, -1 +0 sprockets
lockhart phillips rear turn signals
proton running lights/side markers
pilot power 2cts!

before it went into the shop all i had done was the slip on and k&n. this thing is ridiculous now. not sure what else i could do performance wise, i think its maxed out for my ability. still have a slight electrical problem though, occasional crap start up. was thinking about HIDs, the lights are realllly dim on it, but gotta figure out what the electrical issue is first.
I did most the same things as you, the next step is suspension. Custom sprung/valved forks and an ohlins shock custom sprung make a world of difference. I hit 20k on the stock suspension and it wasn't feeling like it used to. I'm at 22k almost and with the worked suspension the bike is a joy to ride now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts