Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Ive got a 1999 R6 and I'm having a few problems at the moment. It hasnt stool for any length of time, and has been used every week, but I'm having issues with the bike spluttering.

The bike has just start being a bit juddery at low revs in first, and once you get past this it seems fine. Also when you have the bike in third it seems to splutter and struggle to get past 12-14k revs. This only appears to happen in third though.

The only thing I can think is that I've ran the fuel down and some dirt has got into the fuel system from the bottom of the tank.

I've had it into a garage and he said he has balanced the carbs and replaced the fuel filter but I'm not confident in him or any work he has done.

From what I've read I'm thinking it could be coils, dirty jets in the carbs or even the TPS sensor.

Anyone got any other ideas?

Many Thanks
Phil

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
I'd go with dirty jets reagarding the sputter in 1st gear. The struggle to get past 12-14k could be a coil issue, but I'd start with cleaning the carbs and while they are off, inspect and test the coils. The link in my signature has pics, etc on how to get the carbs off and whatnot.

Get yourself the service manual. Google or search here and download it. There is a mode you can easily put the bike in and it will read out the TPs settings on the dashboard via the tachometer. It'd really neat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I've just bought a set of coils from ebay to try (only £25 delivered).

Failing that I'll try the carbs. Reason I'm reluctant to touch the carbs is i've never tried before and dont want to cause even more damage if I can help it.

Thanks again
Phil

1 - 4 of 4 Posts