Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there

i wonder if someone would answer this question real quick please,is there an overflow pipe on the fuel tank on the 99 r6 where excess fuel drains from when its reached its max level or would the fuel just overflow out the top of the tank if u kept filling it?

the reason i ask is becouse everytime i fill my tank it gets to around an inch from the filler cap level at which point i release the handle on the petrol hose so that the fuel doesnt come out as fast and just lightly streams into the tank however it wont come any higher and i was just wondering if at this point im actually filling the reserve or is this its max level and whatever else im putting in is wasted?

i dont go on for long after ive reached the level but i did try for around 20 seconds orso past the level with a light stream of fuel the past couple of times ive filled up to see if it would rise more but never noticed it get any higher,the thing is ive never noticed the bike leaking fuel from the overflow pipe (wherever that is?) so the question is:if i overfill the tank will it overflow from the cap or somewhere else?

any info would be appreciated thanx.

mic.

·
Dual 6's
132 Posts
well ive also been curious about just how high you should fill it to... i get kinda scared to fill it really high cause i wonder about the backpressure and whatnot that gas tanks use to deliver fuel.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well ive also been curious about just how high you should fill it to... i get kinda scared to fill it really high cause i wonder about the backpressure and whatnot that gas tanks use to deliver fuel.
yeh,well i fill it to the inside ring around an inch lower than the actual cap but tommorow im gnna try filling it to just below the cap to see if it makes any difference.

ive tried searching to see how far other people fill it but i must be wording it wrong or something cos i cant find anything,i did find one thread earlier which said you could fill it right upto the locking cap aslong as it was just below the breather hole.

mic.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts