Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I am a longtime lurker of this forum and finally created an account because I have run into my first issue with my bike. Long story short, my bike (99 Yamaha R6) died while riding. Upon research I found this is a common issue due to the rectifier getting really hot and melting the stator plug. Well, turns out that is exactly what happened to my bike as well. So I did my forum research and found an old thread advising to just cut off the melted stator plug, crimp female connectors onto the stator wires and individually plugged them into the rectifier plug after using dielectric grease as well. Well, after spending hours delicately putting the connectors into the rectifier plug my bike now has no power it does not even crank. The battery and the stator are good as I tested them. I am at a loss as to what to do? The new female connectors are insulated but Iam thinking as the metal parts are touching each other that might be the problem? I used female spade connectors. Please help.

Edit: I forgot to add a second issue that I ran into. While attempting to remove the tank cover I ended up stripping the two bolts on the front end of the tank. So now I cant even take the tank cover off and unable to remove the rectifier. Is there an alternative way to access the rectifier or remove it?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey just a thought.. if you didn’t have your battery disconnected while you were splicing maybe you shorted it out and popped a fuse?? - good luck

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yea do what Hayden said, i got tired of that issue also. Besides what you did with connectors thing i replaced the rectifier to another location. To make it work cooler i put it on the lower part of the battery box, between box itself and swingarm. It works great now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey just a thought.. if you didn’t have your battery disconnected while you were splicing maybe you shorted it out and popped a fuse?? - good luck
Thanks for the feedback. I had disconnected the battery prior to removing the burnt plug. I am going to get a new harness and a 2005 gsxr 600 rectifier.

I will post pics later today so that anyone else in the same boat as me can take a look.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea do what Hayden said, i got tired of that issue also. Besides what you did with connectors thing i replaced the rectifier to another location. To make it work cooler i put it on the lower part of the battery box, between box itself and swingarm. It works great now.
That is a genius idea. Does the swing arm hit the rectifier at all?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had similar issues. 2 rectifiers later, I ended up finding a mosfet type reg/rect and all new wiring to B+ and Ground, and heavier duty wiring from the stator.

Have you had any luck? Check your 30amp main fuse on the starter relay. Mine popped every time I connected the battery, due to an internal short in my original rectifier.
If the fuse is blown, d/c your rectifier before replacement of the fuse and replace your rectifier or you'll just end up blowing the fuse again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts