Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright Im new to this forum and know that there are a hundred threads about this, but most are outdated. My 99 with 21k miles is acting like its got rounded gear dogs. It doesnt like to go to first it goes to first then pops to neutral than the same with second. but other times it works some what alright. I bought a new clutch plates, new chain and sprocket. ANY HELP FOR A NEW GUY?!?! whats wrong with this bike i just bought it 3 days ago.

·
Registered
40 Posts
im sorry to hear youre having issues so soon after buying it. 1st gen r6 s are notorious for have 2 nd gear issues and I know that there are a couple good threads on this forum that problem. so I would research that problem and work from that if I were you

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it's a bummer but I suppose if it's the gear dogs it will give me a chance to look everything over really well and do some serious clean up!

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Yup, common issue with the 1st gen R6's. You can either get 1st gen parts or you can swap an 03-04 transmission into the case and it will solve the issue for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't know a lot about transmissions, but this doesn't sounds like the common 2nd gear problem. My second gear is getting bad (getting it fixed tomorrow), and I've never had any issues with any other gear.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Turned out to be the detent spring! Also changed the plugs fixed ever little issue. Threw in a yanashiki clutch, and did the 520 chain conversion, ivans jet kit,and an 08 oem exhaust. Bike is incredible now!:toocool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts