Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall recently picked up a bit of a project bike, 2003 R6 with 66k mi on the clock. Now I've fixed just about all the issues but there's a couple that I'm not quite sure what is causing them, or would like some advice before spending big bucks.

There seems to be an issue with the front brake, where under braking it kind of rocks back and forth or pulses, almost like abs. It's extremely noticeable when under light pressure, as I'll slowly becoming to a stop and the brake feels like it's grabbing harder at one spot. I immediately suspected the rotors, but had them inspected and straightened but didn't solve the issue. The master cylinder was also replaced, and have brand new brake pads, still no fix.

The other issue I think is with the front suspension. Under hard braking force, or engine braking, it feels like the front vibrates or shudders. This is the one I'm expecting the front forks might need to be replaced, but wanted some opinions. I adjusted the front suspension because it was extremely stiff from the previous rider, but didn't help the issue.

Thanks all!

· UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,633 Posts
Check for worn wheel bearings and steering stem bearings. Make sure you have no side to side movement on the axle. Make sure the rotors are sitting straight on the wheel. You can check this with the front elevated, holding a screw driver against the fork with the tip of the screwdriver just touching the rotor. Rotate the wheel and see if the rotor is straight.

Both issues you described could be the same issue

· 2 wheels > 4 wheels
215 Posts
With 66k miles on the clock... it wouldn't be a bad idea to rebuild the forks and change the for oil anyway. The seals and oils break down over time.
Do you see any bends or dings on the rim? It could even be brake pads. Kinda hard to say. But again, if these things have never been changed in the past 66k miles, now is the time. And in the process, you might find something that wasn't torqued tight enough.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts