Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about putting straight pipes on a 06 r6. Couple questions. What is the location of the honeycomb in the header from the cat? Thinking about cutting the cat off, leaving the honeycomb and doing straight pipe. Worst case if I dont like it I get a MJS and put it together. Thanks! Anyonegot pictures to show the location of the honeycomb to the cat?

·
Premium Member
12,093 Posts
taken from another thread where I asked the same question.

the black line is where you cut..the red circle is where the honeycomb sits..

you dont need to remove it to get more sound..and its a huge pain in the ass to remove..if you try and remove it...you better make sure you get every lil piece out of it. or it could get sucked back into the motor

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do you happen to know exactly how far it is between the cat and the comb? Only asking because if I dont like it may just want to have it welded back together. Planning on leaving honeycomb in. Seen any sound clips for straight pipes with honeycomb in?? Sure its obnoxiously loud

·
Premium Member
20,431 Posts
Are you going for just making lots of noise and annoying your neighbors or do you want to actually see a performance gain?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
justannoy the neighbors but dont want a performance loss. Think if I left comb and stock air filter should be ok on performance. Thinking I will probably have to make a muffler for it anyway so may look at mjs if I dont like it.

·
Premium Member
20,431 Posts
Save the money and do it right. Get a full system. You will get an amazing sound and performance gains. If I have the removable baffle out of mine people can hear me from a few miles away.

Here is a sound clip from a few months ago.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah but looking to do somecustom work with it and do a different style exhaust that no one currently sells. Like to tinker and build stuff

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Anyone have any picture of the large box under the R6 cut open? The honey comb stuff in the header is the cat, which really makes me believe the large thing under the bike is a muffler. The stock slip on, is pretty much straight through, it's not a muffler, just tunes the sound some.

I like to to tinker too, I'm pretty handy with a welder, and I still went the MJS route. My post here with pictures. If you really want to do it yourself, he sells a weld on midpipe that eliminates all the honeycomb. All the clamp-on style mid-pipes leave the honey comb in the header.

I went the MJS route just because it was much easier, I was able to just bolt things up, and ride a couple hours later. I bought everything from Mike all at once, header, slip-on (GYTR), smog block offs, K&N, and a PCV, he even loaded the correct map on the PCV so all I did was install things and ride, and that was what I wanted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts